dog shaking, lethargic and foaming at the mouth slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MY first thought was rabies, but after reading what you just said, sounds more like poisoning. Chances are your neighbor had something like rat poison or antifreeze somehwhere. I'm sorry I don't have very good advice for you. If you're on good terms with your neighbor, you could try asking him he has any rat/fly poison out, or any chemicals and antifreeze anywhere in his yard your dog might of got into. Once you know what your dog got into, you can google it and perhaps find a cure. One other possibility is that your dog bit a toad. That will make him sick, but he should get better on his own if thats the case. I would reccommend tying or penning him so he can't go anywhere else until you find out what's wrong.

Quote:
thats the thing...hes laying on my bed now with his head hidden under my pillow, not wanting to move or anything..but sometime during the night he got up the energy to dig another hole into our neighbors yard!

Quote:
if he is foaming at the mouth like that, i dont think he will make it till saturday. maybe try your local shelter. our local shelter provides emergency services. Or maybe you can see if the vet will set up some sort of future payment plan for when your husband gets paid.

try getting charcoal and or caster oil into him...I don't know if one is better than the other, but if I remember correctly one will make them throw up anything they have ingested...I think the other might help him poop it out....Not 100% positive on these, so please check into it first, but I remember the vet giving our dog both when he got the strick9 poisoning...

by chance have you put the liquid flea and tick stuff on your dog??? I know there are cetain brands that the dogs can't/don't tolerate...It's been posted on here somewhere before about dogs having seisures/convolsions after having that put on them...

I know it sounds horrible on my end(this post and above post talking about bad things happening to our dogs)..., but we also had a dog that happened too...We took him in for his rabies shots, then about a week later we put the tick/flea liquid down his back, and about 2 weeks after that he had a major sesiure....Took to the vet, they did $500 worth of test and what not, didn't really come up with anything wrong, but said it was a possibility that it was a reaction to the flea/tick stuff....

Is there another vet that you can call. our emergency center is like that but there are many vets that you can make payment arrangements but you need to make some calls. I don't think he will last til sat either.

Quote:
Some of that flea/tick stuff can be very nasty.

I know that vets do use charcoal, but you need to make sure your using some kind that is edible.
idunno.gif

Check his gums. Are they pale? If they are pale, get him in to a vet somewhere ASAP. It really sounds like he got into some type of poison.

Charcoal will absorb the poison, castor oil will induce vomitting. Vomitting will be too late now, as it's had a chance to go through his system. Charcol might work, but be sure to google it first. Also, please try talking to your neighbor to find out what it might be.

Quote:
You are right that it is probably too late to vomit now. He really needs to be taken in. IV fluids should be administered to help flush his organs. If his kidneys get damaged, there really is no way to reverse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom