dog shaking, lethargic and foaming at the mouth slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
come to think of it, i bought a package of flea/tick drops for him and our other dog..now i cant find the package so i wonder if my son put the entire package on him!
im going to call him really quick!!

Quote:
sadly, no. well, its because she said that its 100 for the visit and 200 for basic tests.thats before they even figure out whats wrong and treat it. i wish they would let me bring him in now, but i do understand...if they did it for one person, they would have everyone doing that.

It sounds like distemper to me....has he had his shots? They have the same type of symptoms that you are describing,almost like rabies.Foaming at the mouth,strange behavior,etc. Try to get him to a vet,ASAP....it might be too late. We found a dog once, he started foaming the same night we found him.He had to be put down.It's sad to see them like that,they are in pain.They're brains are affected. Good luck with your dog,hope the vet can help....

Can they let you write a hold check or leave your debit card number for Saturday. I work at a vet and we do that frequently. It really sounds like a toxin. He really needs to be seen ASAP.

well i called the vet again, and they told me that they cant make any sort of arrangements but they did say that it sounds like he just ate something he shouldnt have and that we should make him puke it up. they also mentioned that he couldve eaten a toad which is very likely here especially with all the rain.

Hope you can get him to toss up whatever it is, did they tell you how? If it's already passed his stomach he's gonna need to be seen. Good luck.

Sure wish you could get him to the vet

I know all about toad eating dogs. My doxie ate quite a few, she puked up at least 3 sets of legs. She was sick for a few days, throwing up & a foamy mouth. Then the black diahrea (bloody) started. She got some antibiotics and was fine, eventaully.

How is the dog acting now? It has obviously been a day or two

My dog has seizures. He does drool and foam at the mouth during a seizure. A grand mal seizure can make an dog expend as much energy as he would running a marathon. It is exhausting for them. If there was one or more seizure the dog could be exhausted and lathargic for a day or two. He probably had a seizure, but you need to find the cause. The fence digging could be part of a seizure. Dogs sometimes become obsessive compulsive during smaller focal seizures. They act confused and paranoid. They can dig, eat dirt, run in circles, snap at imaginary flies, continually try to run or escape from imaginary demons, etc. Mine tries to eat the carpet, the grass, dirt or anything under his feet. Your dog may have eaten something, have a disease, have a genetic disorder, or be reacting to shots, flea applications or heartworm tablets. If you want to save the dog, you can't wait to take him to the vet. If your vet can't see him, find a farm vet. They are usually cheaper.

We used this when Maggie (our lab) had to have emergency surgery for a collapsed lung:

Care Credit

It's good for emergencies such as this. You can pay it all off or in payments with no interest- whichever works.

You can use it at the vet or at human medical clinics, also. A good thing to have around in a fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom