Dog thread!šŸ¾

I would wait until a year and a half before doing heavier pulling. But light pulling/getting them use to it could be done sooner.
What would you consider light pulling or heavy pulling? And why year and a half? I do genuinely want to know

I did find a study that found guide dog pulling was actually more force then a mushing dog, I need to find it again. Most mushing places start their dogs pulling at 6-8m old(dogs at conditioned from birth all most with lots of running and the slowly increase it) guide dog programs start their dogs in the harness at 12-18m the most common being 14m old. Its only seema to be sports and pet people that say 2y from what I can find, plus I can't find anything saying its necessary to wait that long for running and pulling

If your dog has healthy joints then as long as you build up slowly (not including jumping and stairs)there won't be a issue, its only if you dog does have bad joints that it can mess them up more

I would be interested in hearing what other people have found

What would you consider light pulling or heavy pulling? And why year and a half? I do genuinely want to know

I did find a study that found guide dog pulling was actually more force then a mushing dog, I need to find it again. Most mushing places start their dogs pulling at 6-8m old(dogs at conditioned from birth all most with lots of running and the slowly increase it) guide dog programs start their dogs in the harness at 12-18m the most common being 14m old. Its only seema to be sports and pet people that say 2y from what I can find, plus I can't find anything saying its necessary to wait that long for running and pulling

If your dog has healthy joints then as long as you build up slowly (not including jumping and stairs)there won't be a issue, its only if you dog does have bad joints that it can mess them up more

I would be interested in hearing what other people have found
For example start by conditioning to the harness, then add a sled or empty cart thats small and get them use to that. Then if doing sled pulling start by putting some weight into the sled until they are conditioned. If doing cart pulling put little by little into the cart to add up the weight. I guess depending on what sport it could differ.

The reason i say to wait until a year and a half is so most of their joints are fully developed and they are almost fully grown.

For example start by conditioning to the harness, then add a sled or empty cart thats small and get them use to that. Then if doing sled pulling start by putting some weight into the sled until they are conditioned. If doing cart pulling put little by little into the cart to add up the weight. I guess depending on what sport it could differ.
interestingly the mushers start the dog running free next to the sled/vehicle, then move on to the dog harnessed in a position that doesn't have much strength needed for short sessions

I don't know if the guide dogs to anything special, I don't think they do šŸ¤”
The reason i say to wait until a year and a half is so most of their joints are fully developed and they are almost fully grown.
That is what I am talking about I can't find anything that says you need to wait until then as long as you are conditioning them and being reasonable. I need to look into when the growth plates close since I have heard many different ages. It actually might be good to start conditioning them younger if you know this is the type of thing I want to do, using the joint will make it stronger, I mean we know exercise is good, but too much is bad. Pulling isn't that different to natural dog exercises so does it really have a bad affect as long as you don't overdo it, overdoing it is bad regardless of age anyway

When people have a puppy or young dog who pulls the safest option for the dog is a harness, lots of dogs also are not taught to walk nicely so pull but people aren't saying that its extremely bad for your dogs joints, so why is a dog trained to pull on a harness different

I have been thinking about this a lot šŸ¤£

This is interesting to read
https://www.mylamedog.com/post/what...ng-puppies-until-the-growth-plates-are-closed

interestingly the mushers start the dog running free next to the sled/vehicle, then move on to the dog harnessed in a position that doesn't have much strength needed for short sessions

I don't know if the guide dogs to anything special, I don't think they do šŸ¤”

That is what I am talking about I can't find anything that says you need to wait until then as long as you are conditioning them and being reasonable. I need to look into when the growth plates close since I have heard many different ages. It actually might be good to start conditioning them younger if you know this is the type of thing I want to do, using the joint will make it stronger, I mean we know exercise is good, but too much is bad. Pulling isn't that different to natural dog exercises so does it really have a bad affect as long as you don't overdo it, overdoing it is bad regardless of age anyway

When people have a puppy or young dog who pulls the safest option for the dog is a harness, lots of dogs also are not taught to walk nicely so pull but people aren't saying that its extremely bad for your dogs joints, so why is a dog trained to pull on a harness different

I have been thinking about this a lot šŸ¤£

This is interesting to read
https://www.mylamedog.com/post/what...ng-puppies-until-the-growth-plates-are-closed
A lot of dogs pull because of genetics, they have natural instincts.

If you are conditioning right then its ok. Overdoing it would be bad.

I would wait to start full on doing it until the growth plates close, which is different for lots of dogs.

Hi there SpotTheCat here is my rendition of your name
I call it SpotTheDog
šŸ˜‚
Oh and a couple of pinkies of my little beasties
Hugz

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    941.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 65823936526__5F4A4CDA-C524-45B0-978A-044E7DEAC1D3.jpeg
    65823936526__5F4A4CDA-C524-45B0-978A-044E7DEAC1D3.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 1
A lot of dogs pull because of genetics, they have natural instincts.
I am confused what this has to do with it?

If you are conditioning right then its ok. Overdoing it would be bad.

I would wait to start full on doing it until the growth plates close, which is different for lots of dogs.
I think you might be missing my points, obviously you should do your own research and decided on whats best for your dogs but I was bringing it up to question the common answer people give for when you should do what exercises šŸ˜†

Many places won't sell you some assistance dog harness until you dog is 2y which I find extremely annoying

Tucker has really wanted to fetch and hunt over the last week. So 35 -45 rounds of fetch a day plus our regular walk. And every bird or squirrel is his game. He doesnt tire out easily still and training has been a breeze he has become so motivated and reminds me when he wants to train.
20240409_182429.jpg

20240409_182432.jpg

I am confused what this has to do with it?

I think you might be missing my points, obviously you should do your own research and decided on whats best for your dogs but I was bringing it up to question the common answer people give for when you should do what exercises šŸ˜†

Many places won't sell you some assistance dog harness until you dog is 2y which I find extremely annoying
You were saying that a lot of dogs pull, because they arent trained to walk correctly. A lot of dogs pull because of genetics. But not being trained has some to do with it as well.

I havent looked into pulling sports a lot as i dont have a dog i can do it with. But i have done some. Most dont start until closer to a year and then dont actually start doing heavy work until after a year and a half.

Back
Top Bottom