Dog thread!🐾

I have a Great Pyrenees and a Great Pyrenees/Rough Collie mix. Both are rescues. 105 lbs and 85 lbs. respectively. I feed a human grade freeze dried, and raw, not at the same meal, and yes it's darned expensive. My Pyr has a super sensitive stomach, we've tried a couple of supposedly high quality kibbles, trying to help the budget, and nope, You literally do not want to be in the same neighborhood with him, let alone the same room. His gastric issues can peel paint off walls. :sick
My mix, I think might be able to eat concrete and steel and be ok gastric-ally, but she has a yeast allergy. Pretty bad, to the point of scratching til she bleeds. So we gave up on trying commercial kibble foods. I don't want her on allergy shots or cortisone shots for the long term, or ever, if diet can take care of it. I had a shepherd many, many years ago that had horrible allergies. I didn't know any better, and there were few choices for foods then, and she got shots, and ended up blind, deaf, and had seizures in her advanced years, and we were told the shots were likely a contributor if not the total cause.
And having lost two previous dogs to cancer, I figure I can pay for this now, or pay for that later.
My cats also eat raw or freeze dried. My older cat had UTI problems early on. Every prescription diet made him projectile vomit and he flatly refused canned cat food, I guarantee we tried every brand and formulation available. Once we started him on dehydrated human grade or raw, no vomiting and no UTI issues again. He's almost 13 now.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :lol:

I have a Great Pyrenees and a Great Pyrenees/Rough Collie mix. Both are rescues. 105 lbs and 85 lbs. respectively. I feed a human grade freeze dried, and raw, not at the same meal, and yes it's darned expensive. My Pyr has a super sensitive stomach, we've tried a couple of supposedly high quality kibbles, trying to help the budget, and nope, You literally do not want to be in the same neighborhood with him, let alone the same room. His gastric issues can peel paint off walls. :sick
My mix, I think might be able to eat concrete and steel and be ok gastric-ally, but she has a yeast allergy. Pretty bad, to the point of scratching til she bleeds. So we gave up on trying commercial kibble foods. I don't want her on allergy shots or cortisone shots for the long term, or ever, if diet can take care of it. I had a shepherd many, many years ago that had horrible allergies. I didn't know any better, and there were few choices for foods then, and she got shots, and ended up blind, deaf, and had seizures in her advanced years, and we were told the shots were likely a contributor if not the total cause.
And having lost two previous dogs to cancer, I figure I can pay for this now, or pay for that later.
My cats also eat raw or freeze dried. My older cat had UTI problems early on. Every prescription diet made him projectile vomit and he flatly refused canned cat food, I guarantee we tried every brand and formulation available. Once we started him on dehydrated human grade or raw, no vomiting and no UTI issues again. He's almost 13 now.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :lol:
Fabulous! Real food makes a huge difference in the dogs health, we would never consider eating kibble, why should our dogs. Glad your animals are doing so well on raw and freeze dried!

We always do it with the puppies. Especially the toys, but you know. If she still doesn't eat it, maybe change brands, and if you can afford it/your vet is OK with it/you can make it balanced, you could try something else, like raw
She might just eat it if it's mushy...hopefully
Oh that sucks then. Idk. She’s probably just going through a growth spurt maybe? I would maybe try a different kibble.
I was thinking so, she's 30 lbs so probably in the lanky stage
Yes it's not cheap, I would have continued to feed my boy Kibble if he ate it. But if he's going to be miserable all his life, and food should be exciting to eat, it's worth the extra cash.
Definitely
Yeah, Great Pyrenees are big dogs! He could crush you if he decided you weren't giving him enough treats! :lol:
Definitely 🤣🤣😭 mine runs me over 😅

Pamps, definitely try a different brand or even a different formulation. I've noticed how picky some dogs can be about their dry food. I've had one that'll eat anything then ones that won't touch cheap stuff and also ones that think the cheap stuff taste so much better then their regular food :rolleyes:

Also re raw vs kibble. I'm someone who doesn't think kibble is "dead food" but I know there benefits to raw, I also think it's perfectly reasonable for people to think just feeding kibble is boring cause it is.

Pamps, definitely try a different brand or even a different formulation. I've noticed how picky some dogs can be about their dry food. I've had one that'll eat anything then ones that won't touch cheap stuff and also ones that think the cheap stuff taste so much better then their regular food :rolleyes:

Also re raw vs kibble. I'm someone who doesn't think kibble is "dead food" but I know there benefits to raw, I also think it's perfectly reasonable for people to think just feeding kibble is boring cause it is.
Ok I'm thinking of trying purina pro plan or purina beyond next. This is the second brand and third formula right now 😭🤣

Also re raw vs kibble. I'm someone who doesn't think kibble is "dead food" but I know there benefits to raw, I also think it's perfectly reasonable for people to think just feeding kibble is boring cause it is
I hit post to soon...
I have 10 year old dog who had her first bloodwork done this year. Perfectly healthy, been on kibble her whole life 90% also grain free. My brother's 10 year old chihuahua is similar had pre anesthetic bloods yesterday and as far as we have been told nothing concerning. She does have allergies and arthritis though.

Ok I'm thinking of trying purina pro plan or purina beyond next. This is the second brand and third formula right now 😭🤣
I've raised my last 4 pups on plain old Puppy chow. The beef flavor. I do wet it down initially. They grow great on it and do very well. I used to be skeptical but now I love it for my pups. Shiny coats, good even growth, and they love it. It's also reasonably priced. I've tried almost every brand of kibble out there. I switched to Purina a few years back and never looked back because of the results I've seen.

I've raised my last 4 pups on plain old Puppy chow. The beef flavor. I do wet it down initially. They grow great on it and do very well. I used to be skeptical but now I love it for my pups. Shiny coats, good even growth, and they love it. It's also reasonably priced. I've tried almost every brand of kibble out there. I switched to Purina a few years back and never looked back because of the results I've seen.
Yesssss I love Purina. I too tried just about everything and switched Brew constantly as a puppy but he always did best on Puppy Chow and liked it best. Then I tried Purina One and he LOVES that but switched to Dog Chow for a bit as it was cheaper and easier on my wallet LOL he liked that too but I recently switched him back to Purina One, the Healthy Weight formula this time, cause he’s a bit fat lol but the cat is in Purina too. Senior Cat Chow. She loves it and does great. The birds used to be on Purina too lol I would have had the budgies on it if they made budgie food 🤣

Back
Top Bottom