Dog thread!🐾

My current lgd pup. He's 7 months old. Bigger than all my other dogs, I estimate over 50 pounds
20231221_142515.jpg
20231221_142311.jpg
20231221_142309.jpg

That’s how everybody does it. At least all the show breeders. 6-7 weeks is early. Although I do actually agree 8 weeks is a little early and some are changing now to keep them later. But 8 weeks is still the standard and the legal age to go.
If you get a dog from a reputable breeder and not someone trying to make money they will likely have you wait till 12+ weeks

I would ask around. Join groups. The very best breeders most likely won't need a website to sell there pups and will operate solely through word of mouth.
Yeah, I’ve been asking around. I’ve talked to people when I’ve been in the ER a few times for my mental health, I’ve asked the GDB leader if they know of any (I help train Guide Dogs for the Blind)

I’ve asked neighbors and friends, my vet (still haven’t heard back from the vet) and other people so I’m at a bit of a loss.
That’s how everybody does it. At least all the show breeders. 6-7 weeks is early. Although I do actually agree 8 weeks is a little early and some are changing now to keep them later. But 8 weeks is still the standard and the legal age to go.
That’s what I was thinking too
Everything is digital now. I find it weird when a breeder doesn’t have a website or doesn’t update it. Yet most don’t.
Yeah, that’s what I’ve found

Not everyone has a website still. I live in an area with tonsss of breeders of every kind, most no website. Mennonites are huge into breeding dogs.
That’s why I said most don’t aka most still don’t have a website
If you get a dog from a reputable breeder and not someone trying to make money they will likely have you wait till 12+ weeks
Not most of the ones I’ve seen. And these were all well known show breeders, not for profit BYBs or mills. The standard used to be 6-7 weeks then it was 8 weeks for a LONG time. Now it is slowly changing finally but it is still NOT wide spread or common.

Ok, thanks guys. I’ll have to think about this. My parents wanted me to only get one from someone who breeds specifically for temperament and stuff so it seemed like a good fit, and I’ve appreciated the quick text responses from the breeder. But sounds like not a very good option?

Any other Golden Retriever breeders in Washington that breed for temperament and have gone on to be service animals?
Finding someone who shows can still be good for temperament other people will be around the dog and can see how the dog reacts to the environment . I went to a samoyed show and the one persons samoyed was growling 🙃. If the breeder doesn’t do sports/show/work then there is no “proof” the dog has a good temperament

make sure there is proof any of their dogs has become and service dog and not just them saying it!

Yeah, I’ve been asking around. I’ve talked to people when I’ve been in the ER a few times for my mental health, I’ve asked the GDB leader if they know of any (I help train Guide Dogs for the Blind)

I’ve asked neighbors and friends, my vet (still haven’t heard back from the vet) and other people so I’m at a bit of a loss.

That’s what I was thinking too

Yeah, that’s what I’ve found
Do you have FB? There are a lot of good groups there.

Back
Top Bottom