Dog thread!🐾

others would because they have 3+ litters a year, the dogs (and puppies) are kept outside in kennels, not all of the parents are titled, there was no puppy contract and I picked the puppy myself

my point is (incase it was hard to understand 😅)that different people have different criteria for what an ethical breeders is and most people when talking about ethical breeding don’t differentiate between working and companion dog breeder. I think there is a big difference in what is okay when breeding working dogs vs companion dogs
A lot of breeders do 3 or 4 litters a year. But in the US most who keep dogs in kennels are puppy mills. Although there are breeders who have kenneled areas outside for the puppies to go.
There is a huge difference in companion and working dogs. And many have their own ethical breeding terms. But ive learned for Goldens at least what you should look for in the breeder/puppies.
But
What i look for in a puppy/breeder
They have to have all clearances (OFA and health for the breed)
I would like the parents of the puppies to be in show or work(but thats just me as i want to do shows with my next pup for sure)
Atleast a 3 generation pedigree and all 3 generations need to have all need to have OFAs on both sides.
Preferably a breeder that does ENS as it helps the puppy.

I have read that many of the issues that arise with dog behavior is due to the puppies being removed at 8 weeks. Much of their temperament is grounded in play with siblings and mother's discipline up to 12 weeks or more.

But selling the puppies at 6-8 weeks means less hassle for the breeder, and another litter on the way.
If puppies are kept untim 12 weeks of age they have a higher chance of getting littermate syndrome. And thats peak for their fear time.
Puppies are best to go home at 7 - 8 weeks

If puppies are kept untim 12 weeks of age they have a higher chance of getting littermate syndrome. And thats peak for their fear time.
Puppies are best to go home at 7 - 8 weeks
Interesting. I'd never heard about littermate syndrome before.

I just read several articles about littermate syndrome, which seems to be an issue most often when littermates are adopted at the same time.

In the majority of articles I also just read puppy adoption is recommended between 8 and 12 weeks of age. Three of my four dogs were brought home at 6 weeks, and two had issues with strangers and other dogs. I did a bunch of research when my third dog turned out to be timid/aggressive, and the consensus was her behavior indicated that she needed more time with littermates and her mother.

I've been looking at Lancashire Heelers for a couple years. One of the things I liked when I researched breeders was their insistence that the pet quality offspring they would sell (cheaper) be neutered to keep negative traits from being passed on.

I just read several articles about littermate syndrome, which seems to be an issue most often when littermates are adopted at the same time.

In the majority of articles I also just read puppy adoption is recommended between 8 and 12 weeks of age. Three of my four dogs were brought home at 6 weeks, and two had issues with strangers and other dogs. I did a bunch of research when my third dog turned out to be timid/aggressive, and the consensus was her behavior indicated that she needed more time with littermates and her mother.

I've been looking at Lancashire Heelers for a couple years. One of the things I liked when I researched breeders was their insistence that the pet quality offspring they would sell (cheaper) be neutered to keep negative traits from being passed on.
neutering (spay/castrat) under 6 months has a lot of negative affects, for most breeds 2+ years is the best time to neuter

I haven’t heard of waiting till 12 weeks causing issues or for most breeds rehoming at 8 weeks :confused:

I have read that many of the issues that arise with dog behavior is due to the puppies being removed at 8 weeks. Much of their temperament is grounded in play with siblings and mother's discipline up to 12 weeks or more.

But selling the puppies at 6-8 weeks means less hassle for the breeder, and another litter on the way.
I have other dogs, so I haven't seen any problems from bringing pups home at 8 weeks. It's a time when they are more willing to bond with new people and can be taught things that just become a part of who they are like to never put teeth on a human, or to follow their people.
neutering (spay/castrat) under 6 months has a lot of negative affects, for most breeds 2+ years is the best time to neuter

I haven’t heard of waiting till 12 weeks causing issues or for most breeds rehoming at 8 weeks :confused:
I've read the study on the time to best spay or neuter and in most breeds 6 months is the same as 12 months. I still do 6-7 months because I've lost dogs to mammary cancer and would prefer not to have that happen again. It all depends on what risks you want to deal with.

This is the study I read through where they break it down into the breeds, and what issues were seen in the different breeds. I'm not looking to change anyone's minds, nor debate the issue. Just what I have read. It is definitely an interesting read.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2020.00388/full

1703368637936.png

Wow, you guys have a lot of good information! I think whatever breeder I go with, I’ll want to be careful, but mostly what I care about is a breeder that genuinely cares about and for their dogs
That’s good! But do remember even BYBs can love and care about and for their dogs. They can seem like good people. That’s what makes it so hard to distinguish sometimes.

Denver was brought home at exactly 8 weeks she never had a issue, she didnt even chew on things she wasnt suppose to. Her breeder taught her names and a few tricks. We visited multiple times before pickup. She loves all people, but only certain dogs.

Tucker on the other hand was 10 weeks old when we got him(we didnt meet his breeder a friend was going through some stuff and they asked if we would take him). He is my dog and is very protective of me. He loves certain people like our neighbors todler and her kids. But he is selctive on who he likes. He also really doesnt like other dogs besides Denver it has took so long to teach him that some dogs are ok. He went through a stage of reactivity. He was socialized more than Denver, it was much harder for him to adjust to our home at 10 weeks than it would have been at 8. He is now through all those stages and doesnt act up around dogs. We are working in agility and its made him much better.

Denver was brought home at exactly 8 weeks she never had a issue, she didnt even chew on things she wasnt suppose to. Her breeder taught her names and a few tricks. We visited multiple times before pickup. She loves all people, but only certain dogs.

Tucker on the other hand was 10 weeks old when we got him(we didnt meet his breeder a friend was going through some stuff and they asked if we would take him). He is my dog and is very protective of me. He loves certain people like our neighbors todler and her kids. But he is selctive on who he likes. He also really doesnt like other dogs besides Denver it has took so long to teach him that some dogs are ok. He went through a stage of reactivity. He was socialized more than Denver, it was much harder for him to adjust to our home at 10 weeks than it would have been at 8. He is now through all those stages and doesnt act up around dogs. We are working in agility and its made him much better.
Neither sound very correct for the breed, unfortunately :oops: but they’re both soooo cute lol

Back
Top Bottom