Dog thread!šŸ¾

Tail wagging isnā€™t necessarily happy/friendly. What to do depends on if it is demand barking or fear/nervousness/etc which I canā€™t tell through writing unfortunately

punishment or quiet command probably wonā€™t do anything if its nervousness or a need not being met, so it is best to work out exactly why she is barking. She is also a very vocal breed which you do need to keep in mind

yes, if she isnā€™t crate trained then she does need training before you can use the crate. It might take you a bit of time before you know when is tired and when is not enough exercises, it might help to start keeping track of how much rest she is getting
I think that it's happy tail wagging because as soon as she stops barking she goes and her body language is happy and she wants him to pet her. And she start barking louder and bumping him if he starts greeting the puppy. We understand she is going to be vocal but we want to try and minimize the barking at him.

She is well crate trained and likes her crate and if we separate Gypsy from her she'll sleep but can't really calm down too well when they're together. I think she needs more rest because she is up between 5-6 each morning and goes to sleep at 8-9 so maybe she needs a couple breaks in the day?

I think that it's happy tail wagging because as soon as she stops barking she goes and her body language is happy and she wants him to pet her. And she start barking louder and bumping him if he starts greeting the puppy. We understand she is going to be vocal but we want to try and minimize the barking at him.

She is well crate trained and likes her crate and if we separate Gypsy from her she'll sleep but can't really calm down too well when they're together. I think she needs more rest because she is up between 5-6 each morning and goes to sleep at 8-9 so maybe she needs a couple breaks in the day?
Working on calmness (like the video I posted), rest during the day and teaching her an appropriate why of asking for attention is what I would try

for instance you could have treats near the door so when someone comes in they can toss the treats onto the floor for her to eat

or (I donā€™t know if this could help)throw a treat away from you when she comes near repeat until some of her excited energy is out then ask her to sit (if she isnā€™t calm enough to sit/gets up toss a treat and try again)

Definitely! That is a long day

Working on calmness (like the video I posted), rest during the day and teaching her an appropriate why of asking for attention is what I would try

for instance you could have treats near the door so when someone comes in they can toss the treats onto the floor for her to eat

or (I donā€™t know if this could help)throw a treat away from you when she comes near repeat until some of her excited energy is out then ask her to sit (if she isnā€™t calm enough to sit/gets up toss a treat and try again)
Ok, we'll try that.

How do you deal with fear responses to like every new thing? She spooks at any foreign object or person. At least she's good with all the other dogs she's met though. Thanks
First of all, I'm no dog training expert. Exposure is all I know how to deal with that. Bring in new things, make loud noises, etc. and encourage calmness. My dog was very scared of cars and she got over that fear with exposure. We act confident around the things she fears but don't let her fixate on them. My dog is still afraid of cables (like USB cables, etc.), certain loud noises, men, and kids, but I haven't worked a lot with her around those things. I think your girl will definitely settle down and be less fearful the longer you have her and the more experiences you give her.

I want a larger dog soooo bad šŸ˜­
I love large dogs, but I'm on my second one with joint issues. If they can't handle the outside stairs I face a serious situation, and difficult decision. I cannot lift 75-90# dogs. :hit

I'm looking for something I can carry next time.
Screenshot_20231227-123750-013.png

Lancashire Heeler

I love large dogs, but I'm on my second one with joint issues. If they can't handle the outside stairs I face a serious situation, and difficult decision. I cannot lift 75-90# dogs. :hit

View attachment 3713293
Lancashire Heeler
Thatā€™s why I like Boston Terriers or Rat Terriers over Boxers or Labs lol

The Lancashire Heeler is a medium to high energy dog. Intelligent, alert and friendly, they are quick to learn new tasks. A sturdy little dog with a short, weather-resistant coat of black and tan or liver and tan, they are affectionate with their owners, always happy, talkative and always ready for a walk. Their small size is what gives them their charm.

Small, powerful, sturdily built, alert and an energetic worker, the Lancashire Heeler works cattle but has terrier instincts when rabbiting and ratting. They have a unique characteristic called the Heeler Smile; when content, Heelers have been known to draw back their lips in an effort that emulates a human smile. In 2003, the breed was placed on the Endangered Breeds list of The Kennel Club, U.K, due to the small number of dogs composing the gene pool and the risk of several inherited diseases.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/lancashire-heeler/

View attachment 3713293
Lancashire Heeler

Back
Top Bottom