Dog thread!🐾

Does anyone have tips for recall? Willow will do it great in the house, but once we add I'm even minimal distractions it's like she doesn't even know what it means. It's frustrating, I'm trying to be patient but we've been working at it for months. I have an e collar, honestly she doesn't seem to care much. I might end up getting professional help soon if we can't get her to do this

Does anyone have tips for recall? Willow will do it great in the house, but once we add I'm even minimal distractions it's like she doesn't even know what it means. It's frustrating, I'm trying to be patient but we've been working at it for months. I have an e collar, honestly she doesn't seem to care much. I might end up getting professional help soon if we can't get her to do this
High reward treat, whatever that is for her, and lots of high pitched praise. Don't ever be angry when they come to you. Most go through a phase where they refuse to come even if they learned it well. Just need to continue with positive reinforcement.

High reward treat, whatever that is for her, and lots of high pitched praise. Don't ever be angry when they come to you. Most go through a phase where they refuse to come even if they learned it well. Just need to continue with positive reinforcement.
We've been doing all that, she did a little better with her training tonight tho. It's gonna be our main focus for this week tho. I just wanna be able to let her off leash to have fun safely...

We've been doing all that, she did a little better with her training tonight tho. It's gonna be our main focus for this week tho. I just wanna be able to let her off leash to have fun safely...
I believe breed has a lot to do with how easy it is to train recall. If I recall correctly (no pun intended!) the Pyr is one of those breeds that tends to wander.

If you want to use a e-collar then get professional help! Its extremely easy to mess it up and very difficult to fix after (of course be very careful with what trainer because their are a lot of bad trainers!).For using the e-collar you will need a recall anyway, the e-collar should be a backup not your actual recall.

She is still probably in adolescence so that will affect her recall massively don't forget that! Have you tried recall games? Throwing the treat for her? The best way to train recall I have found is not to actually train recall instead play and do fun training, build a good relationship with the dog. Then they start listening because they know working with you is great! But through adolescence their recall will look terrible until they start maturing 😅.

I also really like tattle training/auto recall, I have seen a wide variety of people and dogs have success with it!

I believe breed has a lot to do with how easy it is to train recall. If I recall correctly (no pun intended!) the Pyr is one of those breeds that tends to wander.
Breed definitely makes a huge difference! Specially with how the recall will look, you are probably not going to consistently get a immediate fast recall 😆

I also really like tattle training/auto recall, I have seen a wide variety of people and dogs have success with it!
I had never heard of tattle training and just looked it up. That is a very interesting method! I like it.

Breed definitely makes a huge difference! Specially with how the recall will look, you are probably not going to consistently get a immediate fast recall 😆
Yeah, my Bostons have been so easy. I think the breed has a strong bond with their owners. Both of mine naturally wanted to stay near and come to me. With Dorie I praised and gave treats every time she came back to me, regardless of if I called her or not, and she learned that is what I want. Off leash she'll go off to have fun by herself but frequently checks in on me.

Back
Top Bottom