dog! WARNING,RANT!

I'm very thankful that I don't have any troubles with dogs/coyotes/ect. However, reading this makes me realize that I don't really have a good "long distance defense item". I should probably do something about that...

I'm very thankful that I don't have any troubles with dogs/coyotes/ect. However, reading this makes me realize that I don't really have a good "long distance defense item". I should probably do something about that...

You may not now, but you probably will at some point. We lived here for over 11 years before hearing coyote packs howling at night. We've had issues with dogs roaming around the place. It's been 8 years of raising chickens and we still haven't had a predator loss, but the odds are we will and not in the too distant future. We've been vigilant as we can (we are retired military, no jobs, so are home most of the time) and kept multiple roosters almost that entire 8 years. I'm not proficient with firearms yet, so I keep a T-ball bat that belonged to one of my sons next to the door so I can grab and go if my husband isn't around. Not great, but better than nothing.

I'm strongly considering getting on of my own. I'm thinking maybe a 22? Or possibly a 4.10? It's been a long time since I've needed to fire a weapon, over 20 years.

I'm strongly considering getting on of my own. I'm thinking maybe a 22? Or possibly a 4.10? It's been a long time since I've needed to fire a weapon, over 20 years.

22 - ammo cheap (with the present madness it can be difficult to find in stores). Be careful about aiming towards the ground, bullet can skip and end up where you didn't intend it to go. More of a long range caliber (500 feet).

.410 - ammo costs more. A bit more recoil. Shorter range caliber (50 feet).

When shooting someone's dog, remember the 3 S's; Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up. Don't rub it in that you shot their dog and had the legal right to do so because they CAN sue you. They may not win but it can cost you court costs plus attorney fees. Most counties allow you to shoot problem dogs if they're worrying or attacking livestock.

Myself, I have a problem shooting a dog because of an ignorant owner. I'd rather capture the dog and send it counties away to a dog pound where they aren't likely to find it and if they do they will probably have to pay a pretty penny for boarding the dog plus a penalty for allowing it to roam. My county (not in any city limits) doesn't have a leash law but it does have a law that states that the owner must be in complete control of their dog at all times. When they're on my property, they aren't in control.

22 - ammo cheap (with the present madness it can be difficult to find in stores).  Be careful about aiming towards the ground, bullet can skip and end up where you didn't intend it to go.  More of a long range caliber (500 feet).

.410 - ammo costs more.  A bit more recoil.  Shorter range caliber (50 feet). 
we have several .22s , 410, 20 gauge, 12 gauge , .17 hmr ,... The 22 are easy to shoot even for kids and cheap to shoot if you can find the ammo. The . 17 hmris nice too more power , speed and accuracy. But also more expensive to shoot.

Sorry to read about your situation, I have dogs and go to great lengths to make sure they never leave my property. Unlike most my neighbors, I have been attacked by neighbors dogs while walking my own, I don't walk down my streets anymore because I am afraid.
I filed a police report immediately after the incident, NOTHING ever happened, I could of sued crap out of that guy but I didn't, I believe in karma. Then I found out other people were accosted by these mutts but never reported it. Handle it yourself and keep your mouth shut. And my coop and run are like Fort Knox, my husband thought I was nuts with all the steps I had taken but you have to these days. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom