Dogs; 5, Silkies: 0

LittleChocobo

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
So today I was gone for four hours and left the chicks in their only partially secured run with the understanding that my roommate would keep an eye on them and keep the dogs away.
Well, apparently that didn't happen. Not only was nobody watching my 9-week-olds during their third day outside (they came in at night to sleep in my room), but the dogs were let out unsupervised. These are the same dogs that regularly bring in everything from shrews and mice to small birds. Needless to say, there were no avian survivors.
I spent all day overheating and miserable at work or in the city -- the only reason the chicks were left outside "under supervision" to begin with was because it was 90 degrees out, and my room climbs up to 105-ish in that weather -- and came home to feathers all around the yard and other bits. I came back for my work clothes (so I could go to work in the morning earlier than usual and get things done in the cooler morning) and was told to clean up my chickens so they could let the dogs out again, and had no idea what they were talking about. Awesome, roommates. Thanks for the understanding. Awesome end to an awesome day.

I just bought the run a few days ago and it took up a whole paycheck. I have everything I need for chickens except the actual chickens... but I don't know if I want to start over again. My mother says that if I don't get chickens again it'll be a huge waste of my time and money and that I'm a sissy for wanting to give up after cleaning up entrails from chain-link. I'd have a more breed-mixed flock for sure, if I did, but I'm just not feeling it right now. I feel so awful, you guys.
hit.gif

Last edited:
I don't think it was done in malice -- they thought the silkies were adorable. If I do move out, it'd be to my father's place, which is even further from my university and wouldn't have carpooling, and I don't have a car, and the condo board probably wouldn't let me keep chickens. Other than that I don't have any options. It's not enough to move out over, I just wish they would've kept their word or been slightly more considerate. It was a matter of either not thinking enough or not caring enough.

Dragoneggs, I like your signature. I sure wish that would work on my boyfriend!

There's a pullet/poultry exhibit I'm thinking of going to tomorrow, but things there will be very expensive ($20-$30/pullet, but guaranteed hen/health).

We have had probs with the neighbors 2 Great Danes and German Shepherd = when you can get the money, a chain link dog kennel is a great run for chickens. Strong enough to keep dogs in or out, Check CL, got ours there for about $100. Good luck.

They were in a chain link dog run from Home Depot but apparently managed to get the door open. I have no idea how, as *I* have trouble getting that door open. Probably the main culprit was the black lab / something mix. The Boston Terrier is probably not guiltless, though.

OK, did the roommates agree to watch the chicks, or did you direct them to without receiving agreement? If they agreed, they owe you replacement cost. If they did not, you have learned how much to expect from them (nothing). Some suggestions, line the bottom two feet of the run with small opening cage wire or hardware cloth--even 1/2" or 1"chicken chicken wire. This is to keep the birds inside the run. Next, put a snap lock chain or even a padlock on the gate, and fasten it EVERY TIME.

I asked them to keep an eye on the dogs when the dogs were outside, or to put the dogs out in the back (which is fenced), and they did a kind of "yeah, sure, whatever" shrug.

Actually, the dogs managed to get in through the door. After talking to my roommates, it has become apparent that the door was left open with a box in front of it to keep the chickens inside while some friends of theirs were checking out the chicks. Nobody remembers having closed the door. My roommates have given me $20, which is a bit more than half what I paid for the chicks in the first place. Hoping for poultry shows in the area.

Back
Top Bottom