Dogs,dogs every where!

minfun990

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
As the title says, at the moment we have dogs EVERYWHERE I wouldn't be surprised to see at least four dogs running round at one time,we have had two dog attacks on chickens in the last week,first Shirly a bantam(she my other post)can't walk due to one and last night we came home to find all the chicken hiding,two missing (they've come back since)and another two missing feathers,the wouldnt eat and I'll be surprised if I get any eggs for a week,what am I to do?

They are builders dogs mostly but some are neighbours farm dogs

Last edited:
Neighbors dogs or strays?

As the title says, at the moment we have dogs EVERYWHERE I wouldn't be surprised to see at least four dogs running round at one time,we have had two dog attacks on chickens in the last week,first Shirly a bantam(she my other post)can't walk due to one and last night we came home to find all the chicken hiding,two missing and another two missing feathers,the wouldnt eat and I'll be surprised if I get any eggs for a week,what am I to do?

Well, neighbors you could try talking to, strays are for animal control if you have it there. I had a dog from up the road come twice to my farm. I was able to catch the dog before it killed. I dragged it home both times. The second time, I told the owner that I could not guarantee the safety of dog (predator) if it attacked my chickens again, Never saw that dog loose again. I don't know the law in your state but here we can trap/ re locate/ kill almost any ground predator that threatens livestock directly.

Sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

it sounds like your place is not a safe place to have chickens running around free, dogs do what dogs do and unless you have a bigger bader dog to guard them you need to build your birds a safe in-closer IMO.
Also if a dog can get to your birds so can wild critters , look at it this way i sold some laying hens to a local he decided to free range them at his place which had no fence and had close neighbors, once he lost a hen he started killing every dog he saw on his place, next thing you know he was loosing even more hens to wild critters which he never had a problem with before, i told him all those dogs he killed most likely kept wild critters away and now that they are gone the wild critters are free to take what they what they wanted right out of his hen house at night he is now building a pen for the next hens he gets from me.

Having birds free range is wonderful but it can not always be done because of the area you want to keep them in so, it is up to you to protect them the best way you can .

This is one of my chicken protectors no stray dog or wild critter messes with her birds and there are more like her here.

I agree with that also. I never had to kill a dog, just suggest it could happen. Since the owner didn't know I wouldn't, he corrected. Truthfully, I would have caught the dog again, taken it to a shelter, explaining why and then would have told owner where he could find his dog.
tongue.png

It seems to me like you need to keep your birds safer. Yes, it's your right to free range your chickens, and the neighbors and builders should keep their dogs off your property. Since that doesn't seem to be happening, it's your responsibility to build your chickens a safe run to be in. As stated above, if dogs can get to them, so can any number of wild predators.

Thanks for the tips,but my chickens arnt even free range,a bionshe frishe(a small rodent hunting dog) got into my pen

As the title says, at the moment we have dogs EVERYWHERE I wouldn't be surprised to see at least four dogs running round at one time,we have had two dog attacks on chickens in the last week,first Shirly a bantam(she my other post)can't walk due to one and last night we came home to find all the chicken hiding,two missing (they've come back since)and another two missing feathers,the wouldnt eat and I'll be surprised if I get any eggs for a week,what am I to do?

They are builders dogs mostly but some are neighbours farm dogs
THIS ^ is a whole different story from the statement below....

Thanks for the tips,but my chickens arnt even free range,a bionshe frishe(a small rodent hunting dog) got into my pen
If they aren't free range, where did the missing ones go? Is your pen so big you could lose them? One little dog isn't quite the same as "DOGS EVERYWHERE!"

Regardless of how many dogs got into your pen, if one little dog can get into your pen, so can bigger dogs, raccoons, opossums, and other critters. So I stand by my statement. You need to keep your birds safer.

Back
Top Bottom