Doing Fecal Floats at Home

Reviving this thread from the dead. I realize this thread is quite a few years old but I know a number of the members are still active.

Are you guys still performing your own fecal floats at home? Have you found over the years that’s it’s become easier to do? I have read this thread over and over and have decided to take the plunge to try my hand at it. Unfortunately I do not have a vet in my area that will perform fecal floats for me and I have had a few instances lately where I have needed one done.

Reviving this thread from the dead. I realize this thread is quite a few years old but I know a number of the members are still active.

Are you guys still performing your own fecal floats at home? Have you found over the years that’s it’s become easier to do? I have read this thread over and over and have decided to take the plunge to try my hand at it. Unfortunately I do not have a vet in my area that will perform fecal floats for me and I have had a few instances lately where I have needed one done.
My dog vet will send them to the lab but they are pricey. Over 60 bucks

My dog vet will send them to the lab but they are pricey. Over 60 bucks
A few months back we were having issues and started with our vet. After they refused we contacted all the other vets in the area to no avail. I was left having to try to rely on the knowledgeable people hear and guessing what to try next.

Yes we are still doing fecals at home, not as many as when I was still learning but when the need is there we do. It has been a good tool and a learning experience as it has shown that our deworming protocols are working making less testing necessary.

Yes we are still doing fecals at home, not as many as when I was still learning but when the need is there we do. It has been a good tool and a learning experience as it has shown that our deworming protocols are working making less testing necessary.
This is exactly what I’m hoping to accomplish. I haven’t purchased the stuff yet but have narrowed it down to what I’m going to get and it’s just a matter of placing my order. If all goes well I will make the purchase for my scope and stuff this week and hopefully will be testing or at least trying to by next weekend.

Did you buy a staining kit.?

Did you buy a staining kit.?
I have not as my interest was in the levels of cocci and detection of worms. I rarely need knowledge of gram-positive or negative bacteria. In peafowl, we know that respiratory infections respond very well to the use of Tylan and in all other infections I use Zactran, gentamicin which is a great broad spectrum AB that stays in the system for five days which in turn reduces the amount of stress caused by catching the bird every day for continued shots as you need to give with Baytril or other ABs that need daily administration.

Well I went ahead and made my purchases. I should have everything by the middle of next week. I went ahead and ordered staining kit, had them fairly cheap on Amazon and it’ll give me something else to play around with and learn.
I've got all of my stuff but I didn't purchase a staining kit. Please let me know what you think about this. I'm super curious and may end up taking the plunge into adding that. There are a few posts about diy floats but KsKingBee's seems extremely helpful.

Back
Top Bottom