Dominique Thread!

The Barring in a Barred Rock is supposed to be more black and white, and on a Dominique they are supposed to be not quite black on not quite white in a slightly different kind of pattern. I forget now its technical term, but it is less orderly striping, more camouflaged looking.

It's called cuckoo barring. :) I like your description of the main differences, nicely put.

And I've heard of a LOT of people recently ordering Dominiques from large hatcheries and getting barred rocks. A straight comb will sometimes pop up in any Dominique line, but with nowhere near the frequency folks are reporting lately. More likely is the they are winding up with barred rocks, yes.

Oh, and insanity, I meant to say, the light-barred one is probably a male. In both Doms and Barred Rocks, the barring is a sex-linked gene so the males get two copies of it while the females get one. The end result is that the males look overall lighter than the females. So your three pullets may be two pullets and a cockerel. ;)

Great, just what I needed another roo.I figured they were something other than dominiques.I was hoping they had been crossed with rocks.They don't quite look like my barred rock more blurred in the barring and carry themselves "lower"to the ground. I will let the feed store know about the mistaken shipment.Well hen 3 will stay, 1 will easily find a home, and 2 well....we will see.

thanks

Great, just what I needed another roo.I figured they were something other than dominiques.I was hoping they had been crossed with rocks.They don't quite look like my barred rock more blurred in the barring and carry themselves "lower"to the ground. I will let the feed store know about the mistaken shipment.Well hen 3 will stay, 1 will easily find a home, and 2 well....we will see.

thanks

The 'blurred in the barring' would make me think more Dominique bloodline, but the 'lower to the ground' would make me think more Barred Rock. A Dominique is supposed to be (the ideal) more upright.

The 'blurred in the barring' would make me think more Dominique bloodline, but the 'lower to the ground' would make me think more Barred Rock. A Dominique is supposed to be (the ideal) more upright.

In quality Doms, the barring is not blurred, it is crisp and clean. In my experience, I've found the blurring to be more a result of cross-breeding. I've had my share of barnyard mutts, heh. The crossbreeds always end up looking pretty smutty. Though you can lose the crispness over time even in pure Doms, if you're busy selecting for other traits instead.

In quality Doms, the barring is not blurred, it is crisp and clean. In my experience, I've found the blurring to be more a result of cross-breeding. I've had my share of barnyard mutts, heh. The crossbreeds always end up looking pretty smutty. Though you can lose the crispness over time even in pure Doms, if you're busy selecting for other traits instead.

Thanks for the clarification.

Good info to know.

Banding / barring / cuckoo pattern contrast. This something I have been exploring the American Dominique. The contrast or abruptness of change between dark grey and light gray is in part how fast the feather is growing, In dom / crele colored games the change is smooth and fewer bars are evident because the feathers grow so fast. American Dominiques have slower growing feathers promoting crisper barring and more bars per unit length of feather. The Barred Plymouth Rock has even slower growing feathers making for still crisper and more bars than even the American Dominique. Some other genes involved can impact crispness and those genes may not have originated in the American Dominique but may somehow have been introduced. One of the genes could be related to Columbian restrictor.

There are multiple genes impacting feather growth. At least one is sex-linked which is in Privett line American Dominiques that I am guessing is used to enable feather sexing at the hatchery. One and possibly more impact feather growth rate and those are autosomal. The genes appear additive.

IMO the Barred Plymouth Rock has the most genes slowing feather growth while American Dominiques have an intermediate number.

OK here they are, my 3 "supposedly Dominique"

number 1

number 2

number 3 (actually a Dominique)

Sorry the pics aren't the best.

They are about 3 months old.Having come from a big hatchery I didn't expect high quality but at least get breed the right.

Back
Top Bottom