Dominique Thread!

Pics

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Post all your Dominique information, incite, pictures and questions here!--I asked if there had been a thread started and no one replied so, I guess I will start one!

Anyone else have them or breed them??

I only have one. She came to me as a stray, found at the end of my very rural drive (nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. My grandson thought she was one of my Barred Rocks but the minute I saw her I knew she was not a barred rock and thought she might be a Dominique. I confirmed it with my APA Standard of Prefection book.

She seems very sweet. She stands her ground--will not be bullied. She looks to be around 18 weeks old. She is getting some fluffy tail feathers and her comb has started to turn more red during her 5+weeks in 'jail'. She has become a nice addition to my flock..

I would love to see others pictures, hear of your experiences with these birds and learn from you!!

Let's hear it!

Last edited:
Here are my 3 Dom girls and 1 cockerel that are 23 weeks old today.

Red & Blue Band
2018-11-25-22-wk-dom-blue-red-2-jpg.1599568

Red & Green Band
2018-11-25-22-wk-dom-greem-red-jpg.1599569

No Band
2018-11-25-22-wk-dom-noband-jpg.1599570

Mr Green Band
2018-11-25-22-wk-mr-green-1-jpg.1599571

2018-11-25-22-wk-mr-green-3-jpg.1599572

We just use treats to get our pics. My flock likes when I sit in my lawn chair & hold treats. When anyone sits in that chair, they come running. In fact, they sit on the chair & wait even when we're not around.
IMG_3911.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG
The harder part is taking the pic without getting all the photo bombers in it. Never attempt to take a pic of another chicken when "Precious" is around.
IMG_6025.jpg

She can get VERY Jealous!
IMG_8866.JPG

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but I've truly enjoyed looking at all the pictures in this thread. I was wondering what the temperament of your Dominiques are overall? Obviously individuals are individuals, so I'm just trying to get a feel for the overall temperament of the breed. Thank you!
This is a great place to ask, and overall they're a great breed. The temperament of Doms is one of their best features. They are friendly, curious, & intelligent. Their feather are softer & have a better smell than other chicken breeds. They can free range well and are not as heavy on the feed bill. The egg production is OK and reliable. The personalities is what makes them fun & interesting, though. We happened to have one of the best Doms in the world, so I know I'm a bit biased. I hope to get another someday.

Our DD's Dom thrived when given mental stimulation. She was an attentive problem solver, enjoyed training sessions, and went on to do some amazing tricks. I sort of wish our dogs would pick up on things as quickly. ("Bubbles" was pretty much a local celebrity and had no problems performing in front of an audience. She even got "fan mail" from some of the classrooms she visited.) Here's a sample of an early training session with Bubbles & DD. Bubbles starts about 1/2 way (min 2:40).

Back
Top Bottom