Dominique Thread!

I'm wondering if Doms are my best bet for NW North Dakota. (probably colder and windier than Fairbanks, Alaska.) It's the combs and wattles on the cocks that I worry about...and I probably wont be out there rubbing oil on them every night.

What does the group think about dubbing? 

I don't really want a mixed flock, but am considering dom hens with an Orloff roo... (lol, the variety that could result!)  ...or going to JUST Orloffs.  (See me teetering, while sitting on the fence???)

The attached, floor heated, garage- pigeon- loft has room for a chicken or two, for the winter, but I'd really rather not.

My birds in central Missouri suffer cold conditions as harsh as those provided by North Dakota since mine sleep under stars every night. Frost bite is minor issue but not nearly as bad as for single comb breeds like my games. My games are usually dubbed for no other reason that to control frost bite. Doing such for American Dominiques is not worth the effort, impart owing to how mild their frost bite typically is.

I would think that Central Missouri would be closer in climate to southeast South Dakota...where wattles still have problems freezing after a drink. Colder and harsher, here. Siberia would be a good comparison, I guess.

Anybody from the Estavan/Regina area wish to chime in?

I would think that Central Missouri would be closer in climate to southeast South Dakota...where wattles still have problems freezing after a drink.  Colder and harsher, here.  Siberia would be a good comparison, I guess.

Anybody from the Estavan/Regina area wish to chime in?

Think a little harder. Outside exposed to wind in central Missouri directly comparable to coop / henhouse in North Dakota. Think windchill.

I'm wondering if Doms are my best bet for NW North Dakota. (probably colder and windier than Fairbanks, Alaska.) It's the combs and wattles on the cocks that I worry about...and I probably wont be out there rubbing oil on them every night.

What does the group think about dubbing?

I don't really want a mixed flock, but am considering dom hens with an Orloff roo... (lol, the variety that could result!) ...or going to JUST Orloffs. (See me teetering, while sitting on the fence???)

The attached, floor heated, garage- pigeon- loft has room for a chicken or two, for the winter, but I'd really rather not.

I looked at the Orloffs for a while too, but they simply are not good layers, so not as practical as the Dominique.

With good housing, the Doms would be fine.

I would have a run that is covered and is walled on two sides, maybe three, you could have the coop have a giant vent open to the covered run so that you still get great air exchange in the coop, but no draft. Then, in the coop have a poop tray under the wide perch (I find the poop tray also helps to block any upward drafts).

A little bit of frostbite is no big deal, as long as you don't get it on the feet... frostbite on the feet can get very nasty.

The first cock of 2015 is nearing the end of his tenure in the breeding pen. As of this point hatch rate averaging about 33% but is trending up so that a given cohort now is doing about twice that. Half of hatch failure appears do to very early developmental failure / failure to fertilize while most of balance fails about 2 days prior to hatch. The hens are on a production trajectory which should beat 120 eggs / bird during the production season which is not too bad, especially when youngest is three years old. At least one hen sometimes produces occasional large eggs and those are usually duds never showing positive sign when candled, As temperature increasing egg production also going up and hens producing fewer of the larger duds. Hopefully productivity will improve for cocks 2 and 3.

what do you think causes the death at about 2 days prior to hatch?

Not enough vitality genetically?

Not good enough nutrition for the hens?

Or a humidity/incubation thing?

Nutrition should be good, certainly better than what a standard layer formulation provides plus hens get a little free-range time.

I am far from a pro with an incubator although I can do better than 80% hatch with games and Missouri Dominiques running through same incubator at same time.

Genetics is my bet and it is likely complicated by age of brood-fowl. Even when I put eggs from these guys under gamehens the hatch percentage is not something to brag about. Hatch rate is something I will be looking very closely at for improving in the years to come. A younger cock has just been added to the breeding pen. I am hoping for an uptick in hatch percentage. Eggs collected over next to weeks will be of uncertain parentage so those will be set aside to be reared up for Lucky KY Chicks, then I will start collecting for next cohort to be kept.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom