Dominique Thread!

I would love some help figuring out the sex of these four little doms we hatched a little over three weeks ago. I have been waiting for so long for Dominiques, and I'm hoping we can keep them all. It looks like two & two to me, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. We can only have one rooster. Thanks!

I would love some help figuring out the sex of these four little doms we hatched a little over three weeks ago. I have been waiting for so long for Dominiques, and I'm hoping we can keep them all. It looks like two & two to me, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. We can only have one rooster. Thanks!

In Post #3649 I shared with @Olde South Coop about the way we identified males from females when we purchased ours. They are pretty much sexable at day-old.

Last edited:
Tails of birds at left do not look typical for American Dominiques. Combs also do not appear to be rose. Color sexing with those I do not trust as they may be heterozygous for barring and extended black.

One closest to the bowl is def a boy. Can't see the feet, but these have been best indicators for me, darker legs/feet are nearly always pullets. Clear legs/feet are cockerels.

The only comb clear enough to see is the male and it looks rose to me. There is a wide range of color-feather patterning in different lines of Doms.

Thanks. All of their feet have at least some black, so it's hard to tell. I hope that they are true to breed. I spent a long time looking for hatching eggs from a good breeder and ended up taking a chance on eggs shipped from across the country. They are just part of a backyard flock--not for show--but I love the look of true-to-breed Dominiques with their beautiful curved backs. Time will tell, I suppose. :)

Tails of birds at left do not look typical for American Dominiques. Combs also do not appear to be rose. Color sexing with those I do not trust as they may be heterozygous for barring and extended black.

Tails look typical for females whose feathers come in faster. Look like Doms to me :)

I am still bummed that I can't get eggs from you @centrarchid I think that your stock is the best in form and most true to the original idea of what a Dominique should look like.

What I have..... Just isn't that great.

Back
Top Bottom