Dominique Thread!

Wanted to share this neat pic where two of my Dom roosters posed for me, lined up perfectly!

Help! One of my Dominique's just stands around with its eyes closed like it is extremely tired. It's red waddles and comb also look purple. What could the issue be?

That does sound bad. The purple comb etc is often a sign of bad circulation, maybe heart failure or internal laying...

I am sorry, I would just cull, so I am no help.

Maybe look in or post in the emergency section of BYC.

That does sound bad. The purple comb etc is often a sign of bad circulation, maybe heart failure or internal laying...

I am sorry, I would just cull, so I am no help.

Maybe look in or post in the emergency section of BYC.
Recently, i read about a pigeon breeder who was starting to suspect that the 'pebbles' from roof shingles might be poisoning his birds. What was noticed with the pigeons was a purple color on the skin of the breast. Evidently, the birds would probably never be good racers, afterward. We had a house that would shed these pebbles after a rain...looked like birds would love to gobble it as 'grit'.
Just wondering...

My untrained eye says that we have six cockerels and fourteen pullets. Lost all six that came in with cold feet, but the remaining twenty have been vigorous. Since we had only hoped for ten pullets from the order, I'm very pleased with the ratio. The hatchery...i think that i would consider ordering from them in the future, they gave me fair choices as far as replacing or partial refund. However, if we're going to 'upgrade', purchasing from breeder will fit our needs better in the future.

I'm watching the smallest of the cockerels to see how his coloring turns out. He has had lighter colored 'body feathers'. The other cockerels have backs that have the spots coming in, whereas the smaller one is still a soft gray. If he were a show cat, i would be thinking that he is a 'smoke'...that's where the individual hair shaft on a cat are lighter colored nearer the skin, and the hair is darker at the outer end.

Actually, we're hoping for nice quality from the hatchery, especially with the hatchery's 'selection' consultation. We're especially watching the smaller chicks, hoping that the mothers were from more recent selection. It's just easier to find 'complimentary' physical characteristics from "older"(than just hatched) breeding stock from breeders. Not that i know what i'm doing, at all...

Back
Top Bottom