Dominique Thread!

Regarding the U-shape back -- as pullets my Dom girls had beautiful U-backs -- but once a very cold and rainy season hit us I noticed the cushion at the tail base on my hens was feathering out way too much. Is that a characteristic of hens past their prime 2nd year?

This was my favorite U-back pullet but ultimately she grew out to be the biggest fluffiest tall-combed girl of the bunch!!! Just goes to show you can't judge pullets for show characteristics until they mature
View attachment 1844194 View attachment 1844195

As the cold weather and rainy season started I noticed the cushion getting bigger! View attachment 1844196
\
Today she's a big fat fluffy ball of feathers!!!
View attachment 1844177

This is the other Dom girl who has a tighter comb and less cushion View attachment 1844178 View attachment 1844179 View attachment 1844180 View attachment 1844182
I like the comb! I am fighting combs it appears this year. It looks the U shape will do fine.

I have an older guy that came through the winter unscathed, so I think I will be caging him soon for the fall shows.

I need to make sure he stays out of the sun and can’t do something stupid while free ranging that would cost me a ribbon. I will get pictures as long as everyone understands he needs a good molt.

Regarding the U-shape back -- as pullets my Dom girls had beautiful U-backs -- but once a very cold and rainy season hit us I noticed the cushion at the tail base on my hens was feathering out way too much. Is that a characteristic of hens past their prime 2nd year?
As in do females change shape a bit as they mature? Yes. Pullets look different than hens.

Do they all tend to grow too much cushion as they mature? No.

Its my first time having them and they just started laying. TSC quality chicks but thats good enough for me.

Quality chicks are for show people. As long as the Doms have a U-back and a nice rosecomb with a leader (spike) at the end I'm satisfied with the personalities of the Doms. The males are much statelier in appearance but I'm not zoned for roos. Doms are individual personalities of course but they overall are a good temperament breed. The two Dom hens I have left are respectful of my 8-yr-old Silkie if she decides she wants first pick at the food and gives them a warning cluck and peck if they rush in -- they'll submit to her when she warns them. So far in 2 years of owning Dom hens I haven't had one combative issue from them. However, in the spirit of fun they WILL give chase after a timid chicken breed so best not to introduce docile breeds like newer Polish or Silkie pullets to an established Dom group or the Doms will have a ball chasing after timid newbies. Doms are a very active talkative people-oriented breed so be prepared to have a lot of visits and conversations with them LOL!

Quality chicks are for show people. As long as the Doms have a U-back and a nice rosecomb with a leader (spike) at the end I'm satisfied with the personalities of the Doms. The males are much statelier in appearance but I'm not zoned for roos. Doms are individual personalities of course but they overall are a good temperament breed. The two Dom hens I have left are respectful of my 8-yr-old Silkie if she decides she wants first pick at the food and gives them a warning cluck and peck if they rush in -- they'll submit to her when she warns them. So far in 2 years of owning Dom hens I haven't had one combative issue from them. However, in the spirit of fun they WILL give chase after a timid chicken breed so best not to introduce docile breeds like newer Polish or Silkie pullets to an established Dom group or the Doms will have a ball chasing after timid newbies. Doms are a very active talkative people-oriented breed so be prepared to have a lot of visits and conversations with them LOL!

I am not sure about them tonight!!!

I had two roosters deciding they needed a gang bang on every solitary female they found.

I had to take swift action to prevent them from hurting the hens. I have one hen in the hospital from these two ruffians!

I am not sure about them tonight!!!

I had two roosters deciding they needed a gang bang on every solitary female they found.

I had to take swift action to prevent them from hurting the hens. I have one hen in the hospital from these two ruffians!

That's one problem I've always avoided (roos). I'm not zoned for roos, don't really need roos since I don't breed, but my Dom hens are real sweeties! The other day a Breda Fowl hen tried to jump our little 8-yr old Silkie hen and my two Dom hens immediately like a flash were on the Breda to break up the rift. Never saw such lightning flash quickness and interception by two Doms working to keep peace inside the flock. Only other hen I ever had that policed the flock efficiently was a White Leghorn hen years ago -- so I'm real happy with the way the Doms are happy-go-lucky outgoing friendly girls, non-combative, yet ready to step in to keep peace between other less-inclined members in the flock. I am very impressed with Doms (at least the hens) -- mine don't lay XL eggs but very consistent layers for 2-year-old girls.

Back
Top Bottom