Dominique Thread!

I was told by several breeders that aggressive cocks produce aggressive male offspring. I won't breed a highly aggressive cock.
I breed game chickens and when an human-aggressive male is encountered and the aggressive nature is suspected of being genetic, the bird is promptly culled. Such selection has resulted in games being among the most docile breeds for handling. Sometimes the aggressiveness stems botched handling which is hard to correct for but that will be a reason to not employ harsh culling. I am using the same logic with my dominiques since goal is to have a dual purpose breed that can forage when and where kids play without causing me undo worry.

These birds came to us from a very reliable source concerning their trueness as to their type of breed. They have been around for a long time 75 to 80 years "underground" so to speak, they haven't been advertised. I'm glad I have a trio in my stock. Also glad you enjoyed the pictures more to come!

I have heard of red dominiques before and do not doubt their existence although though would not meet specifications for American Dominique. My little Missouri Dominique project currently involves birds on male side of line with ample coloration foreign to breed and some even look like the red dominique pictured. My Missouri Dominiques get their foreign color from American Games. I wonder where it comes from in the red dominiques?

That looks like crele, as centrachid mentioned, it's pretty common in game chickens. I've had a few birds with similar coloring over the years; mine were the result of a a clever hen hiding a clutch of eggs from a mixed flock of Dominiques, Buckeyes, and an assortment of breeds (including a few Game) that I keep loose in the yard.
Do you have any pictures of the birds standing, and not on your lap?
smile.png

Red dominiques came up on another thread some time back:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/437570/old-and-rare-breeds/440#post_5523400

Hearty Congratulations to Fred Farthing of Seymour, Missouri on winning Best of Breed and Reserve American with his elegant LF hen at Dominique National Specialty held at Shawnee, OK this past weekend. His cockerel went Reserve Best of Breed in LF and he was awarded Best of Breed and Reserve Best of Breed in the Bantam division as well. In the Junior show, Madi Fowler won Best of Breed and reserve Best of Breed with a pair of nice pullets. Her BoB bird went on to place Reserve American in the Junior show against some stiff competition. Junior memeber Ethan Close did a great job in Junior Showmanship class with his Dominique pullet.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Mr Farthing, who also raises Buff and Black Orphingtons, took Champion English class, Champion Land Fowl and overall BEST in Show with an outstanding Buff Orphington pullet who looked to me to be as big around as a bushel basket.
big_smile.png

HI all Im new to this thread and have not read through it so I apologizes if this has already been answered. I have a new batch of chicks that I just hatched out, 9 of which are dominique mixes(3/4 dominique). Does the auto sex dot on the head still apply to mixes or strictly for full Doms?

Back
Top Bottom