Dominique Thread!

I have 3 young dominique pullets. They are fine in the house but when on the nest they are very agressive and will peck the crap out of your hand. I have 9 breeds and they are the worst.

Are the Dom's pretty broody?

I'm getting a few next month and I'm hoping to get a few broody ladies out of the bunch to hatch some chicks. :)

Are the Dom's pretty broody?

I'm getting a few next month and I'm hoping to get a few broody ladies out of the bunch to hatch some chicks. :)

It depends a lot upon your strain. Historically, the breed has been known for good broody hens, but many hatcheries have selected for egg production or other traits that have reduced the Dominique broodiness. Where are you getting your Doms?

I've only had one go broody but she was not very protective until the chicks hatched!

On another topic... I have a hen that will be five years old this coming spring... still a good layer. I've been culling hard so most so have not made the cut and not had the chance to live here that long. She's the best in type, color etc. that I've ever had so she's stayed. Is this a normal age and vigor for Doms, now? I know it used to be the norm for heritage birds.

It depends a lot upon your strain. Historically, the breed has been known for good broody hens, but many hatcheries have selected for egg production or other traits that have reduced the Dominique broodiness. Where are you getting your Doms?
I'm getting them from Meyer, I looked everywhere trying to get Dom's locally with no luck, so I figured mail order was just about my only option....

I've only had one go broody but she was not very protective until the chicks hatched!

On another topic... I have a hen that will be five years old this coming spring... still a good layer. I've been culling hard so most so have not made the cut and not had the chance to live here that long. She's the best in type, color etc. that I've ever had so she's stayed. Is this a normal age and vigor for Doms, now? I know it used to be the norm for heritage birds.
Wow five years and still laying! That's a long time!!!

I love the way Dom's look! they are just too cute, and most people have said they are very sweet birds
D.gif

Doms are supposed to be long-term producers where productivity suitable for homestead should go for several years. Roosters should be expected to go for only a few years. Part of longevity also comes form diet. Diets too poor or rich shorten lifespan. I also will be giving priority to older birds (hens) as breeding stock but they must perform well for two years before they can even enter pool.

I'm getting them from Meyer, I looked everywhere trying to get Dom's locally with no luck, so I figured mail order was just about my only option....
:D I had ordered a brown-egg-laying 15 pack from mypetchicken and they got delivered to me in a Meyer box, and of the five that survived two separate raccoon and cat attacks, the one Dominque in there (Phineas!) is my favorite!

Well, at long last I have some Dominiques. I am so happy. I have my rooster since December, but just got my hen yesterday. Got them both from Sam Brush. I am so blessed. Here are my birds.

This is Domino!

This is Dominica!

Our hopes for a bunch of Doms!

Back
Top Bottom