Dominique Thread!

centrarchid,
I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to take those pictures. I spent the better part of the day with a yearling Red Tailed Hawk who discovered that if you're going to hunt Starlings around multiple high voltage power lines, you should pay attention to where you're going.
Tonight he's resting comfortably at http://www.WildCareOklahoma.org

One quick trip to "The City" in the morning, and then I'll be out taking those pictures.

centrarchid,
I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to take those pictures. I spent the better part of the day with a yearling Red Tailed Hawk who discovered that if you're going to hunt Starlings around multiple high voltage power lines, you should pay attention to where you're going.
Tonight he's resting comfortably at http://www.WildCareOklahoma.org

One quick trip to "The City" in the morning, and then I'll be out taking those pictures.

I did similar with an adult hit by a semi-truck in front of me on Interstate-64 back in the early 90's. According to vet bird had nerves cut to one of the eyes by fractured bone caused by impact. I had to keep bird for a couple days before wildlife folks could take bird in. During that interval bird became so tame I could get it to stand on my forearm without it causing totally intolerable excruciating pain. To my knowledge bird was in use for educational purposes several years later because it was so easy to handle. It could still fly but its depth perception was off. They also need to take into account traffic and Coopers do not do well with very clean windows enabling you to see all the way through the house.

Our chicks that got attacked are doing much better. they recovered well from the trauma. Georgia looks like a little lion still even though she is at least 7 weeks, Sunny and Cowgirl have only a little bit of baby feathers around their necks. Sunny has grown kind of over-friendly as in jumping on our backs when we bend down, acting like a parrot by leaping onto my arm whenever she wants to and can, jumps out of the box unless we cover it and stepping on her sisters at times

I'm glad to hear they're doing better.

If you want to discourage the piggy back rides, teach her to fly out in front of your feet instead. Just carry a small bit of scratch or even their regular feed in you pocket. Walk outside, bend over, and when the bird rushes up but just before it starts to fly, toss the feed out in front. Repeat several times a day. You'll be substituting one behavior (running out in front of your feet) for another (flying on your back) The cue will be your bending over.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! Cowgirl has 2 really swollen nubs, but the scabs are falling off on all of them so everybodys doing good. Over thanksgiving we are going to fix them up their own coop because my flock keeps pecking at they red from the scabs

You could try pine tar; it's thick, sticky and apparently so disagreeable tasting that birds will leave it alone. Years ago, I had a small can of it with a picture of a horse that I glopped on the back end of a couple of chicks that were getting the base of their tails pecked. Worked well, I imagine it would quickly teach the other birds to leave those toes alone.

And I have not forgotten those pictures, just alot going on the last few days. Honest, I'll post some and we can compare crappy combs.

Back
Top Bottom