Dominique Thread!

alaskan, are you still wanting Dom eggs? after I put this batch into the incubator, I will be collecting for shipment. I should be about done with my own incubating.

Thank you for thinking of me.

I think I am close to done with baby chicks thus year. I got some from Cackle.... It is interesting, I ordered 10 pullets and 3 males, but they don't look like ten pullets.

Time will tell. :confused:

exchange cross for cost. I may run all my post by you for spelling and grammar checks.

What is direction of cost?

Katz, did you use a Dominique hen or rooster? If it was a Dominique male, all the chicks will be barred, but if it was a Dominique hen, only the males will be barred.
Sorry for the late answer
roll.png
I had a Dominique hen. I think your right bc she gave off two roos and they both were barred. Absolutely gorgeous
love.gif
The dad was a small black old English bantam.

Last edited:

This is a Standard bred Dominique cockerel, one month old, sorry for the messy back ground. The pullets are darker.

Bad phone pic but they really don't like the camera much. You can atleast see how much darker the pullets are, maybe?

He's standing funny because , as you might be able to see, he just left me a present on the back of my chair
wink.png

These are my dom chicks. They are about 3 weeks old in these pics. Not positive on their gender but I am pretty sure we have at least one boy and one girl. The third has light coloring but is more feathered out and has smaller legs/feet. So she fits both boy and girl descriptions based on what I have read!
hu.gif
I'll post pics when we know for sure what they are. Can't keep boys so I'll have to do something with him if we do have a boy.

We currently have 7 sex links who are a year old. I hope they all get along well when they meet!

We think they are boy, girl, girl.

The left set of feet/legs is larger than the right. Also the left chick is about a week behind the other 2 on getting feathers.
mejsmom1

I do believe that my 3 Dom chicks are all females this time around!!! Of course, being MMc stock, they are far from the SOP, but, it's a start!!! I hope they do well and get to point of lay. Here's a question for folks re: free ranging/ ranging in electronet fencing with chicks. This years brood consists of 9 Pioneers (big, beefy meat birds), assorted roosters from my hatch, and 4 pea combed black sex links, 3 rose comb brown Leghorns, and the 3 Dom chicks. They are almost 6 weeks old, and spent the first night outside last night. The meaties are obviously not flyers, but the 10 pullets are very flighty, and we have the full compliment of predators, including hawks. I'm assuming that i'll have to put deer or bird netting over their run space in the electronet area, but will even that keep them contained? At what age would it be ok to allow these flighty little gals out to range in my yard? (I have 5 girls from last year's hatch) And, if I decide to clip wings, is there any concern about blood feathers with young pullets? I was thinking that a flightier bird would be more predator proof, but with them being harder to manage, I'm thinking that it's a bit of a trade off.

Back
Top Bottom