Dominique Thread!

We just got 2 1 year old Dominique hens given to us by a friend of my DH's uncle. I couldn't believe he was giving them away! I'm sure glad he did though. The poor girls are molting and one is sunburned above her tail. He had them in a small 6 x 6 dog kennel, obviously with no shade. Now they have a 2,000 square foot run to share with our 7 Cinnamon Queens, 7 Red Pullets, and 3 Dixie Rainbows. They've spent the past 2 hours enjoying the grass, shade, and yummy treats :D
Thelma

This is her sunburn :(

And Louise
I would check these birds for external parasites, such as lice or mites. Red skin around the vent and under the wings would be typical areas of an indication of crawlers,
also notice lack of webbing on the shafts of the feathers.

Last edited:

They are so happy to be on dirt!
lau.gif

There are a lot of Doms there! When they were chicks was there a lot of trilling going on? Those Dom chicks are quite the talkers. The roos have such an incredible stance at maturity.

That Cochin momma looks worn out or maybe she's just jellin' in the sunshine and warm dirt?

Delight is correct. Upon closer inspection with a flashlight I noticed tiny mites on both new birds. :( I also noticed more feathers than normal on the ground from my other birds today. While at the feed store getting fly spray for the horses I just happened to pick up some pest dust for the flock as well. When I got home I decided to go ahead and deep clean the coop for the new arrivals . I guess deep down I knew something wasn't right, just not obvious to a novice like myself. I found a few mites on each chicken and tons of lice on my Rouen drake. My birds would have been getting naked before I posted on here and had y'all help me if not for taking these 2 "Dominique" Barred Rocks!

Last edited:
Delight is correct. Upon closer inspection with a flashlight I noticed tiny mites on both new birds.
sad.png
I also noticed more feathers than normal on the ground from my other birds today. While at the feed store getting fly spray for the horses I just happened to pick up some pest dust for the flock as well. When I got home I decided to go ahead and deep clean the coop for the new arrivals . I guess deep down I knew something wasn't right, just not obvious to a novice like myself. I found a few mites on each chicken and tons of lice on my Rouen drake. My birds would have been getting naked before I posted on here and had y'all help me if not for taking these 2 "Dominique" Barred Rocks!

How great you were able to catch the problem!

For lice/mites we use an organic OMRI spray called Poultry Protector. Not cheap. But we use it according to directions both on chickens and the coop boxes/perches at least once a month. Rather than using powdery pesticide dusts which can sometimes affect chicken lungs as they are susceptible to respiratory infections, we started using the organic Poultry Protector right at the start. In 3 years we have not had a lice/mite infestation. One day ants had crawled over a broken egg in a nestbox and instead of something like RAID or Sevin I sprayed the spot with Poultry Protector and it immobilized the ants so they didn't crawl up my hands while I cleaned the box.

How great you were able to catch the problem! 

For lice/mites we use an organic OMRI spray called Poultry Protector.  Not cheap.  But we use it according to directions both on chickens and the coop boxes/perches at least once a month.  Rather than using powdery pesticide dusts which can sometimes affect chicken lungs as they are susceptible to respiratory infections, we started using the organic Poultry Protector right at the start.  In 3 years we have not had a lice/mite infestation.  One day ants had crawled over a broken egg in a nestbox and instead of something like RAID or Sevin I sprayed the spot with Poultry Protector and it immobilized the ants so they didn't crawl up my hands while I cleaned the box.
Thank you! thank you! thank you! I don't care how much it costs, if it works it's worth it. The hard part probably will be finding it. You'd think in Arkansas you could easily find anything needed poultry related, but not so.

Thank you! thank you! thank you! I don't care how much it costs, if it works it's worth it. The hard part probably will be finding it. You'd think in Arkansas you could easily find anything needed poultry related, but not so.

As a last resort there's always the internet to order from. Our feed store had one bottle of Poultry Protector and I figured why not try it if its organic and sure enough it worked. I went back to get a couple more bottles and the clerk asked if the stuff was good. I wouldn't buy TWO bottles of the stuff if it wasn't!! Next time I went to the store they not only carried several bottles of Poultry Protector but several other organic products from the same company. I went to a HorseMart that said they could order anything if I give them the product and brand name which I thought was nice of them.

As a last resort there's always the internet to order from.  Our feed store had one bottle of Poultry Protector and I figured why not try it if its organic and sure enough it worked.  I went back to get a couple more bottles and the clerk asked if the stuff was good.  I wouldn't buy TWO bottles of the stuff if it wasn't!!  Next time I went to the store they not only carried several bottles of Poultry Protector but several other organic products from the same company.  I went to a HorseMart that said they could order anything if I give them the product and brand name which I thought was nice of them.
even better!!!

As a last resort there's always the internet to order from.  Our feed store had one bottle of Poultry Protector and I figured why not try it if its organic and sure enough it worked.  I went back to get a couple more bottles and the clerk asked if the stuff was good.  I wouldn't buy TWO bottles of the stuff if it wasn't!!  Next time I went to the store they not only carried several bottles of Poultry Protector but several other organic products from the same company.  I went to a HorseMart that said they could order anything if I give them the product and brand name which I thought was nice of them.[/quote]. Yay! Just looked this stuff up and my local TSC has it and its only $10 there. I remember seeing it on the shelf now that I looked it up. I'm heading there now to get spray and concentrate. I'm going to dip my 2 new girls and drake as their infestation is bad. Hope it works!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom