Dominique Thread!

. I remember a couple of months ago on the Dominique Clubs website how two of our veteran breeders are working with a hatchery by introducing their own stock and will continue to be involved in selection and culling to improve stock for anyone interested in quality LF and Bantam Dominiques. The club has made progress by leaps and bounds over just the last couple of years in membership and breeder info. Regional coordinators along with elected members volunteer their own time to help anyone interested in working with the Dominique. A good breeder will not ship culls. It is websites like this that will give him a bad name real quick if the buyer is not satisfied with what comes out of the box. Dominique breeders are a great group of people who are working very hard to improve the breed for egg laying capabilities and longevity in the breed characteristics that it was so popular years ago. It is more than just for pretty, cause the judges look right past color.

Not to mention that most of us are backyard breeders. I shipped out a lot of fertile eggs this spring, but I only hatched out so many for myself. I had a list of local folks waiting for my extras, and in the end had to turn a few folks away because I simply ran out of extras and I'm already down to what I need to keep for myself over the winter. I operate on a pretty small scale, so I share what and when I can, gladly. But I don't always have a lot other than fertile eggs to offer!

That's just to keep the horses of the septic tank. Which is the only reason the grass is so green, it's our drain field. And there's a lot of things behind where I was and a thing or two to three right of the picture.

I remember growing up on the farm with a septic tank - a real drag. Rainy days were the worst, It wasn't until 30 years later that sewers got put in and then charged every property extra for something that needed to be done 30 years earlier!

Love those Doms in the tall grass!

huh, well, I intended to get all six in there, one probably snuck just out of the frame before I took the picture.

You're lucky to get that many chickens in a photo frame. Today I was trying to get just two chickens in a shot and one would walk out of the lens every time the picture snapped. I gave up after 5 times to get them together LOL!

When I shoot my girls, it takes about 10 minutes for them to settle back down and get back to chicken business so i can get some good shots. But they move so fast, they're often in and out of the frame or blurry, or that wonderful side shot turns into a butt shot, by the time the shutter is released. Of course, a bucket of scratch helps too, as does making a bunch of stupid noises to get them to wonder what you're up to. (Just one more little bit of evidence to convince the neighbors that I've gone around the bend into looney town. chicken lady is crawling around on the ground making those weird noises again.)

Back
Top Bottom