Dominique Thread!

@ashleylancaster

He isn't terrible, and he isn't great.

He has a completely clear beak (no black wash) which is wonderful.

His wattles are a bit large, but nice and smooth, which is good.

His comb has more longer fingers than I like (but I really like the comb on the tiny side), but I can't see how the middle of his comb looks.

I would like like him to be a tiny bit lighter in color..but that is my preference.

His tail looks to be a straight up 90degree angle, but that could just be because he is missing some tail feathers...it might go down to a 45degree angle (the goal with a Dominique rooster tail) with all of the feathers in.

My personal preference on the look of a Dom cock is a U-shaped back like the turn-of-the-20th-century photos show (1912 approx) - almost Langshan looking but not as exaggerated - just my personal like and nothing to do with SOP so that's the only thing I don't care about ashleylancaster's roo but it happens to be a major DQ for my personal preference. I often read people complaining about the large wattles on their Dom males so maybe that's a breed characteristic? I don't show and am just inputting all the research I've tried to find about Doms. The cock in ashleylancaster's photo doesn't look that dark in the second photo so maybe the shadowing makes him not look as light as he really is. I like extended leaders or spikes at the back of the comb with not too big or too small a rose comb but again my personal likes and nothing to do with SOP. Wherever can a perfect Dom be found? Everytime I see a perfect bird critiqued there's at least one thing that isn't perfect. I don't believe the "perfect" Dom exisits and when it comes to shows is all subjective judging anyway. In my mind the shape of the cock's back would be the most important judging factor to me, to someone else the comb might be the most important, etc etc. JMHO. Find me a perfect Dom and I'll show you God!

The MOST overall preference I have is that of the fabulous temperament and personality of nearly every Dom I've encountered. There are always exceptions but these lively little baby clowns grow up to be just as personable in adulthood! I'm glad to see breeders like ashleylancaster taking an interest in this fabulous breed - go girl!

OK, here is a picture of a perfect Dominique rooster, from the Dominique SOP.

Here is a short Dominique SOP.

American Poultry Association – Standard of Perfection
DOMINIQUES
No reliable data of the origin of the American Dominiques to be found. It is probably a selection from the many hawk-colored or gray fowls kept in the New England States long before any poultry standards existed. The type of the breed indicates composite blood lines, possibly of the Asiatic and Hamburg breeds.
ECONOMIC QUALITIES
Dual purpose, medium weight fowl, for the production of meat and eggs. Color of skin, yellow; color of egg shells, brown.
DISQUALIFICATIONS
Red or yellow in any part of plumage.
STANDARD WEIGHTS
Cock - - - - - - - - - 7 lbs. Hen - - - - - - - - - - 5 lbs. Cockerel - - - - - - 6 lbs. Pullet - - - - - - - - - 4 lbs.
SHAPE – MALE
COMB: Rose; not so large as to overhang the eyes or beak; firm and straight on head; square in front; uniform on sides; free from hollow center; terminating in a spike at rear, the point of which turns slightly upward; top covered with small points.
BEAK: Short, stout, well-curved.
FACE: Surface smooth, skin fine and soft in texture.
EYES: Large, full, prominent.
WATTLES: Broad, medium in length, well-rounded smooth, fine in texture, free from folds or
wrinkles.
EAR-LOBES: Oblong, of medium size.
HEAD: Of medium size, carried well up.
NECK: Medium length, well-arched, tapering. Hackle – abundant.
BACK: Medium length, moderately broad, rising with concave sweep to tail.
TAIL: Long full, slightly expanded; carried at an angle of forty-five degrees (45) above
horizontal. Main Tail – broad and overlapping. Sickles – long, well-curved.
WINGS: Rather large, well-folded and carried without drooping. Wing Bows and Points
– well covered by breast and saddle feathers. Primaries and Secondaries – broad and
overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.
BREAST: Broad, round and carried well up.
BODY AND FLUFF: Body – broad, full, compact. Fluff – moderately full.
LEGS AND TOES: Legs set well apart, straight when viewed from front. Lower Thighs –
medium length, well-feathered, smooth. Shanks – medium in length, fine in bone. Toes – four on each foot, of medium length, straight, well-spread.

@ashleylancaster i hope my comments didn't upset you. It is always very difficult to get a good bird, and I think it is impossible to get a perfect bird.

not upsetting at all :) I got Him a not to long ago so am fairly new to the breed and couldn't find any specifics. so thank you both for your info and personal perfrences it all helps alot. So thanks for taking the time to help out it is greatly appreciated.

I will say this, I can't show you the perfect bird but I see and feel God every day. He's here with us on earth and he even lives inside me. I can introduce him to anyone who is interested. Its a simple thing, meeting God that is. Just had to say that.

not upsetting at all :) I got Him a not to long ago so am fairly new to the breed and couldn't find any specifics. so thank you both for your info and personal perfrences it all helps alot. So thanks for taking the time to help out it is greatly appreciated.

Hi ashleylancaster - I like going to this website occasionally to refresh my research on the Dominique. It's a fun nostalgic read if you like Dominiques - http://dominiquechicken.com/

My broody hatched out 9 chicks last week, and I think 6 of them are pure Dominique. If anyone near southwestern Indiana would like to purchase some, let me know. I think 3 are male and 3 are female. Broody is raising them free-range plus I give them some organic feed in the afternoons. I'm not sure if I want to sell all of the girls, but I do want to sell the boys since I already have enough roosters & I don't like the idea of them ending up on my dinner table. The "father" Dominique rooster is very well behaved.

My broody hatched out 9 chicks last week, and I think 6 of them are pure Dominique. If anyone near southwestern Indiana would like to purchase some, let me know. I think 3 are male and 3 are female. Broody is raising them free-range plus I give them some organic feed in the afternoons. I'm not sure if I want to sell all of the girls, but I do want to sell the boys since I already have enough roosters & I don't like the idea of them ending up on my dinner table. The "father" Dominique rooster is very well behaved.
they are so cute! I hope you find great homes for the males. What a good mama she is!

Back
Top Bottom