Dominique Thread!

Ouch. I drive past two feed stores to a third just so I can be sure of having chicks immunized for Marek's disease - although it may not protect against all strains, I've noticed that those who don't immunize lose a lot more chickens to it.

My back prickled when our feed store owner said he didn't vaccinate for Mareck's for the last 10 years until I heard his reasons. The immunization is not a guarantee that Mareck's is prevented since there are different strains of Mareck's, the vaccinations have caused him more chick deaths in shipments, and in the years he's been selling chicks only knows of 4 Mareck's cases and none were birds from his shipments.

Still, for very large or industrial flocks I think it is a must. I do not take in birds from other backyard owners as I can't know where their birds came from or what they've been exposed to and only get birds from private breeders who are certified or hatchery birds that offer an immunization choice. We're zoned for only 5 birds so I do a lot of homework before admitting a new bird into our flock.

Unless a detailed autopsy were done on a dead bird, I don't know how one could know that the death was caused by Marek's disease.

My understanding is that the disease is quite uncommon, except in commercial situations where the birds are over crowded, nutrition is poor and they are stressed = immunocompromised. Also, I've read a study that states that if there are wild turkeys in the area, Marek's dz. does not affect chickens. ? if they carry a less virulent strain that imparts some immunity?? Just guessing here.

Last edited:
Can you post how it affects your flock... or how it has affected your flock over the years? Lethal? Long term neuro deficits? What ages does it seem to target? signs? Have you noticed your flock building immunity? And, why do you attribute it to night time migrators? I'm just curious.

FWIW, there are several terrific breeders on the West Coast: Janice with her show winning bantams, Heaven and her partner Rhonda with both bantam and a nice strain of large fowl they've been making great strides at improving for several years now, and Emmet also has some fine large fowl (Time for the Membership Pitch) For a mere $10.00, you can join the Dominique Club of America, which gets you access to the breeder and member list. (Sometimes people have extra birds to sell even if they don't list themselves as breeders) In addition, you can read years' worth of articles in the archives, and there's a lively member's only FB page that is full of helpful, friendly people. If you're serious about the breed, it's money well spent.

Also, I've read a study that states that if there are wild turkeys in the area, Marek's dz. does not affect chickens.  ? if they carry a less virulent strain that imparts some immunity??  Just guessing here.

Oh, I know, I know! Only because I read this last week. The Marek's Disease vaccines are from a modified turkey herpes virus. It lessens the effect of one version or strain of Marek's but is not similar enough to the other strains to have a noticable effect.

When given to individuals with immature immune systems, using a similar but different disease is usually safer. Doesn't always last as long or protect as completely but it's safer and can sometimes make it past maternal antibodies.

Cowpox and smallpox started the whole vaccination idea. Milkmaids got cowpox but didn't get smallpox, a deadly disease running rampant at the time. So .... forget his name gave some people cowpox and after they recovered from the much MUCH milder problem of cowpox they didn't catch smallpox.

RE: cowpox, smallpox, vaccines.
The man you're thinking of is Edward Jenner.

And yes, the turkey herpesvirus protecting against Marek's thing is real, and it works.

Can you post how it affects your flock... or how it has affected your flock over the years?  Lethal?  Long term neuro deficits?  What ages does it seem to target?  signs?  Have you noticed your flock building immunity?  And, why do you attribute it to night time migrators?  I'm just curious.  

Always early fall targeting mostly young of year (age-0) birds as young adults, occasionally age-1 birds lost. Free-range birds loafing in cover patches by migratory songbirds hit most frequently.

First signs: Affected move away from flock as if lost having trouble finding or flying up to roost. Fellow flock members often attack them them. Voice change adrupt, iris sometimes misshapen. Often visual impairment.

Later Signs (When most people detect): Spraddle legs and loss of mobility. Like Polio. Processing by GIT impaired causing smelly feces they can not stay out of. Even with good appetite weight is lost.

A good 2 thirds die withing a week to without TLC. Most others can perist a good month before death. Often blind in once or both eyes. Extra care can enable longer survival but not worth it if ability to stand not regained.

Longer term: Birds regaining ability to walk and fly never true to form afterwards. Breeding compitance degraded. None have lived an additional year. Offspring survive fine but number low.

Very strong genetic component. My doms do not seem to get it. I have four game lines: two immune, one gets sometimes, and one suffers relatively heavy losses and may be eliminated as a result.

You may be able to promote at least temporary recovery by amping up food quality dominated by live plant and animal materials supplemented with vitamins. Keep them dry.

Back
Top Bottom