Dominique Thread!

I think the Garfield Museum somewhere in the Midwest (?) is raising Java to preserve them. That might be a good contact choice. If I remember right they had both the Black and the Whites. They want these birds preserved and might be a good contact for eggs or chicks.
LOL I just saw your post after hitting send. Yes. It's in IL. The Chicago Museum of Science & Industry has worked with Garfield Farm for a number of years. They have had Javas hatching in their viewing incubators for years.

I discovered a little loophole. Cackle's min order is 15-25 depending on breed & time of year, then hefty shipping charges or small order fees are applied. However, we have a farm store chain called "Farm & Fleet" that orders bulk from Cackle Hatchery. Customer special orders are just added to the individual store's order, and the min number of chicks is only 5. This year Dom pullets are listed for $3.49 ea, (or $3.19 straight run) if pre-ordered & picked up at the store. Ordering the same 5 dominique pullets from Cackle would cost $53.60. (not including sales taxes). Huge savings and so much easier than getting a group of people together to share an order.

You may find a similar store loophole in your area. Our local store does not carry Javas, but I met a few breeders at our county fair. We also live near Garfield Farm, so Javas are not rare in this area.

One of my local feed stores will special order birds for me but it's usually from Privett Hatchery since Privett is the cheapest prices compared to other hatcheries. The birds aren't bad from Privett but I understand they drop-ship so not all the birds are from their own breeding stock. Since I can only have 5 hens/no roos, I have been particularly picky who/where I get my older juveniles when I need a replacement and I can't deal w/ just one baby chick at a time from a feed store. Tried it once and it was a CHORE keeping the little bugger entertained or she'd cry all day without company -- a mirror helps but not as good as one-on-one w/ single chicks. The little baby followed me around the house all day. Two chicks together would be better but what do I do with the extra chicken when they grow up? In our city there's not much outlet to distribute extra chickens.

So glad to hear the Javas have made a comeback in your area -- it must mean Garfield has done their job! Garfield was specializing in the Whites and the Blacks whereas hatcheries seem to offer only the Mottled variety.

Yep, I was turned off by some picky private breeders when I was looking for birds but eventually through diligence and talking on these BYC threads I managed to find some really nice breeders and birds.  Nothing wrong w/ hatcheries except a lot of customers don't like the hatcheries' practice of having to destroy so many male chicks.  I am zoned for only 5 hens/no roos so going the hatchery route doesn't work for me (have to order minimum 15 to 25 chick).  The local feed store or contacting a private breeder to order one juvenile at a time is the way I have to do it.  Expensive shipping from out of State or having to drive a far distance for pickup -- but then I don't have to deal w/ a big batch of chicks I can't find homes for.  My friend had a Mottled Java -- big hen and seemed to have a good flock temperament.  Would love to see pics of your chicks, their growth progress, juvenile pics and full-grown.

I looked way back in my phone and found a couple pics of mostly Doms. I realize now, that the leader of the pack was a little rooster. I wasn't worried about sexing them then, since I had ordered six pullets. This is at 5 weeks old in their new tractor. He turned into the cockerel I posted for evaluation a few days ago.

I looked way back in my phone and found a couple pics of mostly Doms. I realize now, that the leader of the pack was a little rooster. I wasn't worried about sexing them then, since I had ordered six pullets. This is at 5 weeks old in their new tractor. He turned into the cockerel I posted for evaluation a few days ago.

They are so cute in the dinosaur stage! I love their curiosity. You ordered 6 pullets but one is a cockerel -- you are planning to keep him? He was looking good.

I have a funny update about Bubbles, our Dominique.

The other night, DD & I were playing a game while holding some chickens. I happened to have Bubbles in my lap, but instead of being cuddly like normal, she kept trying to jump onto the coffee table. Then it hit me why she was acting so strange. She was doing it out of excitement. We were using a deck of cards- which in her mind means a training session in which she gets mealworms. Bubbles saw those cards & wanted to peck at the Queen of Hearts like in DD's magic trick. We haven't done that trick since August, but Bubbles remembered it. What a smart bird!

We were laughing so much about it. DH took a pic.

(If you haven't seen Bubbles the magic chicken

Her trick is the 2nd half of the video.)

I ordered 15 cockerels for a crossbreeding project. Could not have been happier with the birds.

I cponized several but retained three for breeding stock. A fault to some, these birds from Cackle are over-sized from SOP stand point but otherwise, they are beautiful and the capons are turning out well...this was the first time I have caponized pure Dom. cockerels but will not be the last.

My Dom birds are just at 5 months of age and weigh nearly 7 pounds. They are fed FF and are not overly fat since they are free-ranged over several acres. I have serious hopes for this breed...both as pure breeds and as influence in my crosses for super-duper (not monster) capons.

Aaron

I ordered 15 cockerels for a crossbreeding project.  Could not have been happier with the birds.  

I cponized several but retained three for breeding stock.  A fault to some, these birds from Cackle are over-sized from SOP stand point but otherwise, they are beautiful and the capons are turning out well...this was the first time I have caponized pure Dom. cockerels but will not be the last.

My Dom birds are just at 5 months of age and weigh nearly 7 pounds.  They are fed FF and are not overly fat since they are free-ranged over several acres.  I have serious hopes for this breed...both as pure breeds and as influence in my crosses for super-duper (not monster) capons.

Aaron

I'm glad to hear of your success. Been thinking of trying some Cackle birds. I would love to see some pics of your "Superdoms". (The 7 lb. purebreeds)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom