Dominique Thread!

Here is the picture of a few of my Doms from Duane Urch.

I can take no credit for these good or bad, I just hatched the eggs he gave me.
I do not have a picture of the hens in the trio. I ended up with a nasty egg eating habit in my hens I took to the last show in November, It is amazing how fast that travels from cage to cage.

I do not like cage raising, but at this time they are in cages until I get enough eggs or the egg eating under control. They are in rollaway cages and they just do not look good in them, so I did not take their pictures.

Also please go easy on me for the dirty looking pens and ages, it is winter in Minnesota and mucking frozen pens and cages just does not work until start to thaw.

The next 2 are of the "winning" Rooster. albeit a small class as most people go for the larger flashier breeds.

What looks like a line across him is not really there it is a light ray shining on him. I did not brighten or retouch the photo so you could see him as he is.

Below was taken to give you an idea of my outdoor breeding pens. Again winter in Mn (without much snow right now)

The three in the outdoor breeding pen were not shown last year. I have not made any choices for this year. I have one more hen in this pen she is inside their hut on the nest making me an egg, I hope.

I am going to lighten these pictures to see if I can get the barring to show a tad more. I took these early this morning so the light was low. Sorry..

Same pictures edited for brightness and cropped a tad

Last edited:
N​
Thanks for all of the work you went to with the photos.

I like the color of the birds, I like them dark, and I think most breed them too light. They also have good body shape.

They are though "poofier" than I like (but then all Doms are poofier than I like, except for @centrarchid )

N​
Thanks for all of the work you went to with the photos.

I like the color of the birds, I like them dark, and I think most breed them too light. They also have good body shape.

They are though "poofier" than I like (but then all Doms are poofier than I like, except for @centrarchid )

That's interesting, I have never seen a show bird that is not somewhat poofy.

I like the dark too, the reason the one outside was not shown was because of the white area around his duck wing.

I was told it is not a bad thing, I just do not like it, as long as there is not a completely white feather.

Here is a nice little Dominique pullet. As for feather , I guess it all comes down to the breeders interpertation of the standard and what they want out of their birds.

That and if you can find a Judge that agrees with what you read the SOP to mean.

Your picture reminded me of this one I tool last summer as he was just starting to develop. This is a cockerel I ended up not using or showing. He did not fill quite the way I wanted or thought he would. Also his comb got too large in the rear.

I just like the picture. I still have the rooster he lives in the Rooster bull pen, but I doubt he will ever get a chance at bat.

Last edited:
Started looking closer at combs last week. Looky at what I found on top of one of my Meyer pullets. Theories as to origin are welcome. She is quite a bit behind the others in maturing. My first guess would be BR genes.

Trying pics again

Back
Top Bottom