Dominique Thread!

X2
If I know a chick is a male, I offer it for free.  Around here, most areas have laws banning roosters.  If anyone can legally take them & is willing to give them a good life (at least up until processing day) they can take them.
The four pullets we got were born in August (so they would be full grown by fair time as he is not hatching chicks until end of march/beginning of April). We are going to get a couple of chicks when he does hatch and he has promised a cockerel can come too. DS and I are over the moon. Heading to work soon but will post pictures this evening because the new girls are absolutely gorgeous. We love our hatchery girls too but what a HUGE difference between the birds.

I will give away some cockerels to some people. others I do not. Right now Cockerels are more important to me than pullets.

The pullets will mature for the shows in time. If the cockerels are not hatched by now or under incubation they will be too immature to do well.

The other thing for me is I want a lot of them to become roosters so I can pick the one or two best ones to breed. Unlike many people that come to me and buy 3-4 chicks and want to a show chick. I know I need 20-30 to pick from to get the best ones.

Those that don't make it as show or breeders can be sold for $10 later or go into my freezer.

These are some pictures of our new girls picked up yesterday. Approximately 6 months old. They are still pretty skittish so it was challenging to get close still pics. Also, if it seems like some of the pics are of the same chicken, they probably are. They won't come near me and telling them apart is not really possible for me yet (especially from the pictures when loading them!).
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Hello,

Very new to chickens but picked up a Dominique chick from a nearby hatchery. Was assured it was pullet due to head spot but after further review from various sources, I'm concern she may be a he. Which will be highly upsetting, as it is the most gentle bird, let's my four year old handle her (supervised) and always falls asleep. (No Roos in town :( ) some photos:

I'm fairly certain that's a "she". I have two that are a week old and they look the same. I also have two three year old Dominique hens. The pullets have a yellow spot on their heads with no black within that spot. They have a little black on their beaks and legs. The Roos have yellow beaks and yellow legs with no black and a more scattered yellow spot. Enjoy her. This is the friendliest and easiest bird ever!

I'm fairly certain that's a "she". I have two that are a week old and they look the same. I also have two three year old Dominique hens. The pullets have a yellow spot on their heads with no black within that spot. They have a little black on their beaks and legs. The Roos have yellow beaks and yellow legs with no black and a more scattered yellow spot. Enjoy her. This is the friendliest and easiest bird ever!

That is a relief to hear! Of course a little more time will be the best tell. Everything I read seemed to contradict, thought I'd ask those with experience. She is a week old as well :)

Back
Top Bottom