Dominique Thread!

Here are some photos. She is by far my most cuddly bird and my best flyer.
My observations: The comb looks larger & pinker than my pullet's did, but the feathers & darker legs look very female. Higher chance of pullet than male. Wish I could give a definite answer, but I'd certainly keep it.

Thanks. I hope I don't have to go the hatchery route but that's good to know.

Does anyone know anything about Sand Hill Preserve? I was reading their "about" information the other day. Anyone have experience with them or know anyone that has?

If you can't wait another season for some Urch Doms, Cackle Hatchery had Mark A Fields help them improve their bantam and large fowl Doms and might be the best hatchery to order some Doms to start. I hear good and not so good with hatchery birds but how well the hatcheries really keep up with breeding only the best of the best (I doubt they have that kind of time or space). However, at this time Cackle would be my first hatchery choice for Doms. Meanwhile, I've heard that Sandhill is good about preserving rare breeds and ships them out whatever they hatch and don't really have the time to breed selectively. I spoke with them before and they are nice to respond to emails but if you are looking for quality birds you would have to breed from their stock repeatedly to eventually get birds to your standard which I have neither space or time to do. I've also spoken to Tracy Rodenbach in TN who is a Dom club member and raised them when I spoke with her. She might be able to refer you or maybe some other active member in the Dom club if you can get them to answer you (takes patience to wait for a reply but they are serious about their Dom breeding).

Here's my little Bubbles. Not sure if she's good quality, but we love her. I can only make DomxOrpington sexlinked hybrids with her eggs. She tends to give us 70% female. I have no idea why. Whoever buys her female chicks always comes back to get more. Her chicks tend to be flock favorites - just like the mama.
IMG_0878.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Really hope she's a pullet.

Faraday40, where at the Jersey shore do you have family? That's where I grew up.

My dad's siblings all retired & moved down to Brick. They have channels along their backyards that lead to the bay. So cool. I never knew such things existed. (Of course, I'm not really a boat person.) It's very different from when I was a kid & they all lived in the city of Paterson.

I'm IL born & raised, but my dad had to work in NJ for a summer. We lived at Bradley Beach summer of 1976. As a young kid all I remembered was spending the days at the beach, the nights at Asbury Park, and weekends visiting Paterson.

Here's my little Bubbles. Not sure if she's good quality, but we love her. I can only make DomxOrpington sexlinked hybrids with her eggs. She tends to give us 70% female. I have no idea why. Whoever buys her female chicks always comes back to get more. Her chicks tend to be flock favorites - just like the mama.
View attachment 1025977

She is a little heavy, but overall a good looking bird.

Pretty sweet that she throws more females than males.

Ok Ralphie here is my little Dom pullet from you. I think she is coming along nicely. What do you guys think? I know nothing about this breed so maybe I am wrong :confused:

IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4319.JPG
IMG_4321.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG
IMG_4328.JPG

Back
Top Bottom