Dominique Thread!

Oh poor Dana! Both feet too.:( That little whiskery girl is a really funny colored salmon faverolle she really does look like an easter egger though. She's an oddball so she is perfect for my flock.:)
@Chickassan LOVE THE WHISKERS on that Easter Egger LOL!

Taking my Dom "Dana" to the vet tomorrow -- looks like crusty Bumblefoot on BOTH feet! and I'm afraid to do any treatment by myself! The other Dom has nice clean bottom feet but Dana has TWO crusts! Been keeping both feet treated and taped with Triple Antibiotic Ointment to keep the crusts soft and give her a good foot soak before the vet appt tomorrow.View attachment 1518397 View attachment 1518398 View attachment 1518399 View attachment 1518400 View attachment 1518401 View attachment 1518402 View attachment 1518403

@Leahs Mom The article you recommended on Bumblefoot enforced that what I was doing to treat my Dana was correct and my vet agreed with what I was doing for her. She will not need surgery so far because the Triple Antibiotic Ointment I keep covered and paper-taped to her feet is helping to soften the "plug" which is already starting to peel away from the outside edges of each crust. The vet thinks my method of treatment is going to work fine and will not prescribe clindomycin or antibiotics while Dana is still laying eggs -- unless for some reason her feet don't heal. But he likes how it's looking and what I'm doing for her. My vet is so awesome! That fact he worked in the poultry industry helps!

Here's BB2 (hatched March 4th)
BB2.jpg

@Faraday40
How is she personality-wise compared to Bubbles? Will your daughter try to train her?
I'd say this Dom's "OK" so far. She lays about 5 eggs per week....so that's pretty good. She does not have the "look at me" attitude but she's calming down a little. DD's not spending much time with BB2 b/c she's NOT Bubbles. We've been busy with lots of chicks this summer & she has her "useless bantams" to fuss over.

However, I worked with BB2 a little & believe she is trainable. I want to teach her the card trick & piano for school presentations. Bubbles has always been the most requested visitor and the local school children know her by name. (Of course I doubt anyone would be able to tell her from another Dom.... or even barred Rock LOL)

If BB2 is as slow as an orp (they're not bright chickens), then perhaps I'll use my son's Spitzhauben for training. He also has a very friendly Leghorn. It's the 1st one I've ever known to enjoy human interaction. Hatched from a white hatchery egg, so probably a Leghorn hybrid. Comb's pretty small IMO, but otherwise has the same Leghorn look.

BB2 is beautiful to me! The more interaction a Dom gets the more personable they become. They really do like human interaction once they get a taste of all the attention and they are fast learners -- it surprises me how quickly they pick up things when at first it seemed they were dumb bunnies! Our Doms even love to rush at visitors!

Leghorns in their first year don't always acquire a large floppy comb. My White Leghorn was such a beauty her first year and then the second year she got this HUGE Veronica Lake (1940's actress) floppy comb over the side of her head!

Those your potential cocks?
No. Last to be eaten. They are kept in a movable 10 x 10 pen to prep new ground for being a garden next year. They get free-range time in yard where I can follow their habits related to consumption of greens when outside. They are also the birds used to test new dog in training. Do not want good birds killed. The additional time given these guys will enable me to access type. They are not yet into their adult feather set as last sub-adult tail feathers are being dropped now.

One of the cockerels is a Missouri Dominique.

Back
Top Bottom