Dominique Thread!

Here's a photo of Brother Green from yesterday. 26 weeks.

DSC_0355.JPG

Anybody else getting late molting season Doms? One of my girls is in molt in the coolest part of the year right now. Had to bring her indoors to recuperate -- since her weakened molting resistance is down she started showing signs of fowl pox on her comb and am treating her -- seems to have halted the spread on her 2 spots on comb. She just recuperated from Bumblefoot and now going through molt & battling fowl pox -- the vet medicine is $25 for a tiny tube but it really works for fowl pox. She looks so pathetic from how pretty she usually looks!

BEFORE--regal U-stance 5-lb girl when she was indoors to treat Bumblefoot in Oct.
DSCN9614.JPG

AFTER -- pathetic molting and frumpy stance -- poor baby!
DSCN0797.JPG
DSCN0798.JPG
DSCN0800.JPG

DSCN0894.JPG
DSCN1127.JPG
DSCN1128.JPG

Our other Dom hen seems to be doing fine and not molting and they're the same age
DSCN0799.JPG

Both Doms are 5-lb girls and I believe that's the accepted weight for hens? One is 5.2 lbs and one is 5.3 lbs.

We're still in the process of scaling down before winter. It was a tough decision, but we sold "Bubbles 2" our Dominique. I still love Doms but this one didn't have the same "look at me" personality. She laid fine & was pretty but personality mean more when your flock consists of pets. I think we'll try again in spring to find a smart, curious, outgoing Dom. In the meantime, I'll visit this thread when I need my Dom fix. (I will truly miss the soft feel & smell of Dom feathers.)

If you start again with a Dom, get at least 3 chicks - 1) to allow for possible loss since chicks are delicate; 2) to assess which one grows with the peppiest most curious "look" in her eye; 3) and to have a spare in case one is lost as an adult as happened to us last summer heatwave! I was afraid of having 3 Dom chicks to raise since I only wanted ONE Dom but so glad I got 3 chicks to allow for loss. Thankfully my two favourites survived to adulthood. As beautiful and docile as our Dana is with her pretty U-stance and more silvery rather than charcoal feathers, our peppiest smart one is Jewlz and a born leader.
DSCN0799.JPG

Oh Sylvester honey that is mild! Feast your eyes on what is left of Hobo.:gig
Anybody else getting late molting season Doms? One of my girls is in molt in the coolest part of the year right now. Had to bring her indoors to recuperate -- since her weakened molting resistance is down she started showing signs of fowl pox on her comb and am treating her -- seems to have halted the spread on her 2 spots on comb. She just recuperated from Bumblefoot and now going through molt & battling fowl pox -- the vet medicine is $25 for a tiny tube but it really works for fowl pox. She looks so pathetic from how pretty she usually looks!

BEFORE--regal U-stance 5-lb girl when she was indoors to treat Bumblefoot in Oct.View attachment 1620426

AFTER -- pathetic molting and frumpy stance -- poor baby!
View attachment 1620434 View attachment 1620435 View attachment 1620436
View attachment 1620442 View attachment 1620445 View attachment 1620446

Our other Dom hen seems to be doing fine and not molting and they're the same age
View attachment 1620460

Both Doms are 5-lb girls and I believe that's the accepted weight for hens? One is 5.2 lbs and one is 5.3 lbs.
20181128_170914.jpg
20181115_170213.jpg
20181115_170207.jpg

Back
Top Bottom