Dominique Thread!

A 2 year old hen that is one of my best overall females that I have produced to date. Very balanced throughout. View attachment 2167974View attachment 2167975 Color has been improving quickly over the last three years, better gray tones with good cuckoo barring. The male I believe was a cock when the picture was taken. I sold him to a Dominique breeder in the end of 2018. She took the picture around a year later.
I love that girl, that boy sure looks dark to me.

Is your line easy to sex at hatch?

Yes, I agree, color was not my biggest priority over the years and is still a little inconsistent. I never am too concerned with sexing chicks, more concerned with hatch rate and vigor.

Only one of my American Dominiques actually being used as a broody. Balance of chicks are hatched with incubator.
Yes, I agree, color was not my biggest priority over the years and is still a little inconsistent. I never am too concerned with sexing chicks, more concerned with hatch rate and vigor.
I am also letting down color slide at expense of hatch rate and vigor as well. If my chicks were run through a typical sexing procedure based on down, then mine would appear to have too few females. I am good with just looking at feet now.

I have a backyard flock. I introduced a barred rock rooster a few years ago. So I have mixed breed hens which I am ok with. In my most recent batch of incubated eggs, the roo was not 100% BR (Its daddy was a BR the hen an EE). So if that roo is over hens who are BR, Copper Maran, Orpington & EE. ...will any of the 'how to sex a chick' even worth considering for these chicks?

Turned the girls loose in the dying garden beds -- they'll find plenty of bugs and they'll flatten the nuisance weeds for me!

Dominique hen 3 yrs old -- (her sister hiding in the vines behind her)
DSCN7662.JPG

Cuckoo Breda (left) -- Dominique hens (center)
DSCN7670.JPG

Little Partridge Silkie joining the fun
DSCN7679.JPG

Got a garden bridge over the drainage channel between the Pomegranate trees
DSCN7682.JPG

The old plank just wasn't working
DSCN7469.JPG

A rogue Cantaloupe seed germinated next to the girls' sandbox/dustbath and the leaves are as big as the Dominiques!
DSCN7593.JPG
DSCN7596.JPG
DSCN7597.JPG
DSCN7598.JPG

Another day of fun and lounging!
DSCN7687.JPG
DSCN7691.JPG

Oh joy! Fire season started early today in Southern California! I used to live in the area of this fire years ago but I got tired of mountain fires so close to my home and moved a couple miles away where I live now. My current property is a smaller piece of property but a lot better air quality for my hens!
DSCN7692.JPG
DSCN7695.JPG

DSCN7697.JPG

Another day of fun and lounging!
View attachment 2289237View attachment 2289238

Oh joy! Fire season started early today in Southern California! I used to live in the area of this fire years ago but I got tired of mountain fires so close to my home and moved a couple miles away where I live now. My current property is a smaller piece of property but a lot better air quality for my hens!
View attachment 2289240View attachment 2289241
View attachment 2289246
Love the pic of the Dom in the garden.

The pic of the smoke from the fire..... not so much.
That's gotta be so scary.

Back
Top Bottom