Dominique Thread!

Quote:
I got 15 Doms from Cackle this year. I ordered them for shipping in March, but had to wait for May to get them. It was worth the wait! I got one rooster on accident, but I am so glad I did. He is an awesome roo; quickly becoming the top man of my six roosters. I am going to keep him and weed out some of the others.

I sexed them right away and sold seven of them. I sexed them (with help from BYC peeps) by head spot and later confirmed it by coloring. I was (we were) 100% accurate.

So far my doms are the only ones laying (EE, BO, Australorp, CM). The eggs are small still, but tasty.

I cannot speak to SOP, but mine are definitely doms. They are full size.

Thouoght our thread should be bumped. Here's my3 bumps.
5067_spoot6wksanddoms_0081_copy.jpg

Here's a pair from the Netherlands (that's where i live) that i had for a short while as the owner (a friend of mine) was moving.
Don't know much about the breed really. Would be interesting to hear you guys' comments on overseas birds.

Foto-7YTIE4NY.jpg

Foto-G788QGJS.jpg

Quote:
I have been reading into the European version of the American dominique and based on photographs, they have some oriental game in them. Body type with tail more horizontal and torso more erect. Neck also held more extended with recurve only just below head. It is hard to tell from pictures of birds standing in grass but hindlimbs more extended giving the Godzilla posture typical of the oriental games.

I bet your European version takes longer to mature.

How do their eggs look in respect to size and coloration?

For a time I was interested in using some of the European genetics for my restoration effort since as best I could determine the founding stock for the European population predated the genetic bottleneck that occured in the American flock. Effort block owing to difficulties with / cost of importation. The oriental gamefowl would also take me away from desired lighter build with stronger flight capacity I desire. They are very interesting none-the-less!

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Doms were across the pond! How did your friend end up with the breed, do you know?

From what i´ve been reading on them, they´ve allready imported this breed in 1880 to Germany and Netherlands. As a breed for use they became quite popular. The Dutch bred more towards the American type and the Germans bred towards a more lean and streched type. Later other breeds took their place and what was left of Dominiques was used to create stiped Wyandottes. I suppose only a small base remained in Germany, and today they are getting a little more popular again. There is a breeds association for them in Germany too. Now there is a handfull of breeders in Germany and a few in the Netherlands and Belgium.

These two birds came from a German breeder who had Dutch stock. In Germany they are called Dominikaner.

Here is a link to a German site that has short versions of SOP's online: http://indiez.de/html/gefluegel/Dominikaner.html
What they write on eggs: color brownish and a weight of app. 58 grams

Last edited:
Mice75,

Have you seen images of the German version? Those presented as being derived from Dutch stock (approaching American standard) are in themselves quite different from my American dominiques. If you are correct which suspect you are, then the German version is even more oriental-like than I previously thought.

Something else noteworthy in your images is in respect the face of the hen. She has a great deal more feathers on face than typical of American version.

Quote:
I have 5 strains (did have six) of dominique. Included are those from Cackle Hatchery. Relative to all other strains, the Cackle birds are the smallest but they lay well and are tuff. In comparison to the "breeder" sourced strains I have, the Cackle strain looks most similar since some of the other hatchery strains appear to have a lot of barred rock influence. The Cackle birds out perform even the "breeder" sourced strains when it comes to foraging. They put more effort into it.

Back
Top Bottom