Dominique Thread!

Hello All,

New to Doms, I have not been thru all the post but I have maybe a crazy question. I have learned about Barred Rocks being a sex-link and was thinking and want to know... Are Dominiques when crossed on other breeds sex-linked. Is it related to the barring??
Or what??

An inquiring mind wants to know. ( I know curiosity killed the cat, so maybe I'm dead on this.)

Thank-you,

Maye

Last edited:
I'm actually in the middle of an experiment on this issue, actually! I'm transitioning from a mixed flock over to all Doms, but in the meantime I had a few coworkers who want some layers and don't care what breed, so I hatched out some barnyard crosses. My roos are Doms, but some of the hens were other breeds. The chicks look mostly like Doms when they hatch out, with a few variations, so I've been recording my guesses as to sex and will find out as they mature if I was right! I'm basing my guesses on the traditional sex-linked traits of full Dom chicks (color on shanks, size of head spot, etc.) So ask me again in a few weeks, and I'll let you know! :)

Amy

Hello All,
New to Doms, I have not been thru all the post but I have maybe a crazy question. I have learned about Barred Rocks being a sex-link and was thinking and want to know... Are Dominiques when crossed on other breeds sex-linked. Is it related to the barring??
Or what??
An inquiring mind wants to know. ( I know curiosity killed the cat, so maybe I'm dead on this.)
Thank-you,
Maye

Amy,
If you cross a Dom hen with another breed of rooster, the female off spring will be all black and the males will be multi colored. When you come by I can show you some at various ages.
I'm actually in the middle of an experiment on this issue, actually! I'm transitioning from a mixed flock over to all Doms, but in the meantime I had a few coworkers who want some layers and don't care what breed, so I hatched out some barnyard crosses. My roos are Doms, but some of the hens were other breeds. The chicks look mostly like Doms when they hatch out, with a few variations, so I've been recording my guesses as to sex and will find out as they mature if I was right! I'm basing my guesses on the traditional sex-linked traits of full Dom chicks (color on shanks, size of head spot, etc.) So ask me again in a few weeks, and I'll let you know! :)

Amy

Thanks Dave, I'd like to see them. My crosses are the other way around, Dom roos on various other hens. It will be interesting to compare!

Amy

Amy,
If you cross a Dom hen with another breed of rooster, the female off spring will be all black and the males will be multi colored. When you come by I can show you some at various ages.

I don't have Any Dominiques at ALL, but from everything Ive been reading I'd like to get some. who can point me to a decent breeder where I can get half a dozen??
Presently I do have some Ply. Barred Rocks and they are a very nice bird, Im not afraid of the grandchildren being hurt by them. But I have a mixed flock and some could definately GO due to their snipiness.

ooooooooooooooo, the cutest thing eveRRRRRRRRR, Now I HAVE to get some...see what you did to me??!!!!
idunno.gif

Just hatched on Monday. :)

I was just told that my "Barred Rock" is actually a Dominique. I was wondering if you could tell me if its a cockerel or pullet? I'm praying for pullet but from waht I have read it's probably a cockerel... It is about 5 weeks old. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom