Drained a Hen's Abdomen.. Rest in Peace, Olivia 11-5-10

I do very little of the "extra" stuff, though they get probiotics in plain yogurt mixed into something occaionally. I refuse to feed fermented feed, though. I am not on that bandwagon at all, not after what I've seen. I don't sprout stuff, nothing fancy. They do free range on occasion and they forage for natural wild foods in the fresh air and sunshine, which I think it what keeps them healthier than all the stuff I myself could do for them.

Folks have raised chickens for centuries without all the fuss. I do think it's become really too complicated for some backyard flock owners, trying this and that, new fads, etc. So much of a chicken hen's issues are plain old bad genetics, which you cannot overcome with supplements. When you get better stock, you get better overall results, I've found. I feed commercial feed, a good quality higher protein layer pellet (not organic, not non-GMO, just regular decent non-dusty, fresh feed) plus a 12-13 grain scratch mix with occasional "treats" that I put turmeric, garlic and olive oil, plus plain yogurt into. I really don't fuss about any of it. And I have 6-10 year old hens laying. But none of them are hatchery girls. I can't afford to feed them better than I eat myself nor would I if I could. And they are doing just fine. BUT, all the great care in the world will not offset sucky genetics. JMHO.

I would love to hear more about your opinion of the fermented feed. What have you seen that makes you against it? I have only ever heard good. As far as yogurt, I have often read people saying that chickens can't digest dairy? I do on occasion share some of my fresh kefir with the girls. They love it!

I would love to hear more about your opinion of the fermented feed. What have you seen that makes you against it? I have only ever heard good. As far as yogurt, I have often read people saying that chickens can't digest dairy? I do on occasion share some of my fresh kefir with the girls. They love it!

Well, yogurt is different than plain milk. And I think raw milk is different than today's pasteurized milk. They are fine with yogurt, IMO, because it is digested easier than milk. Farmers fed chickens raw milk to treat coccidiosis in the old days. And it's said that adding powdered milk to chick starter can help with cocci, though I prefer to just go right to the heart of it and use Corid because I dont have a source for raw milk right now.

As far as fermented feed, a late night conference call from a friend with another frantic friend of hers while her entire flock was sick and/or dying with sour crop after beginning a fermented feed regimen was enough for me. The only thing different was she began a fermented feed regimen, thinking it was beneficial. I told her to quit that immediately and told her how to treat the sour crop, but it was too late for some. She lost several birds and had a lab necropsy them. The feed was the verified cause.

Avian species have a crop which is a completely different digestive system than mammals. You never want any food on the verge of sour/moldy for a bird and that's what fermented is on the way to being. Food wet just before they eat it is fine. Fermented feed is not for avian species, IMO, and is a fad that needs serious rethinking. It's almost become a religion to some folks, but I am 100% against it and no one will convince me otherwise. I do all I can to keep their feed completely dry to avoid mold setting up in it. I've lost birds to hidden moldy feed, long story when the co-op had a flood and missed a bag of feed or two in those plastic bags that don't show they've been wet.

I know this is an old thread but I am going through this with two of my Columbian Wyandottes. I am curious as to what hatchery they came from?

The first with it survived after a soaking and being on Baytril - so far she is fine. Now her sister is going through the same thing.

I know this is an old thread but I am going through this with two of my Columbian Wyandottes. I am curious as to what hatchery they came from?

The first with it survived after a soaking and being on Baytril - so far she is fine. Now her sister is going through the same thing.

My entire original flock, plus three Wyandottes in the next couple of years, came from Ideal poultry. Olivia, however, was the daughter of McMurray parents.

If they have what Olivia had, antibiotics will not help in the long run, I'm sorry to say. It is a chronic condition and will return.

@speckledhen I read on the first page you drained Olivia close to the vent but in the belly...so was it more underneath her you drained from or from behind? And you had her on her side? Did you suck it out with a syringe or have a hose on the needle for continuous drainage? I would like to do this to my Buff Orp today; this is a last ditch effort to save her life. She is still drinking (alot) but not eating (occasionally taking a mealworm or two out of my hand). Because she is still drinking and trying to move around I cannot bring myself to put her down. She seems to be getting pulled down by all the fluid in her abdomen, kind of like a toddler trying to walk with a full diaper. There is absolutely no vet around that will see a chicken. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

@speckledhen I read on the first page you drained Olivia close to the vent but in the belly...so was it more underneath her you drained from or from behind? And you had her on her side? Did you suck it out with a syringe or have a hose on the needle for continuous drainage? I would like to do this to my Buff Orp today; this is a last ditch effort to save her life. She is still drinking (alot) but not eating (occasionally taking a mealworm or two out of my hand). Because she is still drinking and trying to move around I cannot bring myself to put her down. She seems to be getting pulled down by all the fluid in her abdomen, kind of like a toddler trying to walk with a full diaper. There is absolutely no vet around that will see a chicken. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
I did it from more underneath at the biggest bloated area. We used a big 12 cc syringe and every time, unscrewed the needle, leaving it in place, squirted out the gunk and reattached the syringe. We did it over and over until no more would come out.

Just know that you really are only making her temporarily more comfortable, not really saving her life. This is terminal. She will eventually pass away on her own. As long as a hen seems happy with her group and is not being picked on, I leave them in with their "sisters" (not with a rooster, though).

i have just spent the last hour reading most if not all of this thread.. learning.. i have a barred rock hen that is 1 1/2 years old, going thru a molt.. and i noticed her swollen red abdomen.. her belly is warm but doesn't feel soft like fluid.. she is bright and eating and acts healthy.. this is her first molt.. at first i just thought the molt was showing me her belly and skin more easily.. only 3 days on a molt..

and i only have one other bird that molted.. a soft slow molt.. a black australorp.. [pepper] and today, i notice her slightly bared abdomen is red too.. tho not really swollen.. hmmmm.. just a lot of learning going on here..

im really not sure if the rock [starlin] is laying or not.. i have 8 hens and getting 4-5 eggs a day.. i have one broody BO.

anyway, i am new to chickens, this is my first flock.. got them last spring.. from a hatchery.. they are more pets than anything else..

starlin091917b.jpg pepper091917a.jpg starlin091917a.jpg

I did it from more underneath at the biggest bloated area. We used a big 12 cc syringe and every time, unscrewed the needle, leaving it in place, squirted out the gunk and reattached the syringe. We did it over and over until no more would come out.

Just know that you really are only making her temporarily more comfortable, not really saving her life. This is terminal. She will eventually pass away on her own. As long as a hen seems happy with her group and is not being picked on, I leave them in with their "sisters" (not with a rooster, though).

Thank you so much, @speckledhen. I also watched a few youtube videos and drained about a cup out of her abdomen. She started to get restless so I stopped and will try to get more out this evening. I used a 16 gauge and drew out with the syringe, unscrewing the needle and leaving it in when I emptied the syringe. Next time I'd like to get a little lower under her belly but its hard since she's sitting. She started becoming ill on Saturday. She had one episode a few weeks ago for one day and came out of it on her own. I knew she didn't feel good but she kept drinking and would nibble at food so I couldn't put her down. I really thought she was going to pass last night but when I opened the coop door and window and saw she was still alive, I knew she had a will to live and I had to do something to help her. As long as she keeps fighting, I will too.

@twilightgecko usually we don't see their bums without feathers. They usually have some redness on them. May be nothing.
@Trish1974 , you said she started becoming ill Saturday, but I have to tell you that she was probably ill long before that. You are seeing the critical stage. Feathers hide a multitude of sins, so to speak. They hide weight loss, bloating, mites/lice, wounds, etc. Plus, chickens are stoic animals unless they are truly at death's doorstep. It's just hard to say what's going on in the body in the early stages of anything. She's lucky to have a caring owner. That is what they need most, someone who truly cares, even if we are usually helpless to really fix their issues.

@twilightgecko usually we don't see their bums without feathers. They usually have some redness on them. May be nothing.
@Trish1974 , you said she started becoming ill Saturday, but I have to tell you that she was probably ill long before that. You are seeing the critical stage. Feathers hide a multitude of sins, so to speak. They hide weight loss, bloating, mites/lice, wounds, etc. Plus, chickens are stoic animals unless they are truly at death's doorstep. It's just hard to say what's going on in the body in the early stages of anything. She's lucky to have a caring owner. That is what they need most, someone who truly cares, even if we are usually helpless to really fix their issues.
She stopped laying 2 months ago. I posted a thread awhile back when she stopped but since she had no other symptoms everyone said it was probably nothing. Two weeks ago she acted ill for one day after laying a shell-less or lash egg, but came out of it on her own.
I just checked on her (she is in a dog crate with straw in my utility room). She stood up to change positions and when she did noticed a puddle of fluid underneath her. She is still draining through the puncture I made with the needle. Is that okay if I keep the area clean?

Back
Top Bottom