Drained a Hen's Abdomen.. Rest in Peace, Olivia 11-5-10

Pics
Olivia has been dying of internal laying/egg peritonitis for awhile now. Her abdomen is humongous and she is having trouble breathing. Since she seemed like she was ready to go today, decided to try (for the second time) to drain her. Figured if she choked, then she was going anyway. We may try to euthanize her soon since there is really no hope, but finally, found a good spot for the needle and removed 247 cc of fluid from her, only about half of what is probably in there, poor thing. You can't tell from the pic, but the fluid is very yellowish, but tinged with blood.

Here is the jar with what came out of poor little Livvie:

348_dcp_5482.jpg

Here is Olivia for those of you who don't know her. She isn't a large girl at all. She is in the foreground, with Ivy, who is ailing with the same thing, in the back.

DCP_4768.jpg
Sorry for your loss and to bring up painful memories, but I thought you should know that it was this post that gave me the courage to drain my hens. I know it's not a cure, but it has given several of my hens many more months of a good life.

Thanks for you post,
Kathy

Sorry for your loss and to bring up painful memories, but I thought you should know that it was this post that gave me the courage to drain my hens. I know it's not a cure, but it has given several of my hens many more months of a good life.

Thanks for you post,
Kathy

Oh, Kathy, thank you for saying so! I'm glad it helped you in some way! Oh, my, we miss that little Olivia every day. What a wonderful little soul she was! I'd have an entire flock of her if I could reproduce her. Wish I could have done more but at least when she died, she wasn't weighed down by a bowling ball. My last memory of her was seeing her positively skip across the yard, her little pouf bouncing. She seemed to be a happy hen, in spite of all she went through.

Thank you for posting on Olivia's thread.

Oh, Kathy, thank you for saying so! I'm glad it helped you in some way! Oh, my, we miss that little Olivia every day. What a wonderful little soul she was! I'd have an entire flock of her if I could reproduce her. Wish I could have done more but at least when she died, she wasn't weighed down by a bowling ball. My last memory of her was seeing her positively skip across the yard, her little pouf bouncing. She seemed to be a happy hen, in spite of all she went through.

Thank you for posting on Olivia's thread.
Speckled Hen, I really appreciate all of the threads you have started or posted on about reproductive disorders, especially since I have learned so much from reading them. They are always very good to give as links to people on the emergency thread, whose hens sounds like they have symptoms of EYP and internal laying. It's always better to receive information from someone who has actually seen this.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom