When I made my incision on my Duck I cut above the spot that was diseased. It was actually a tad bit into healthy tissue but I needed to in order to cut off the bad part. Good luck with your decision. Like I had said, it is quite long as I have seen my Mallard's I used to have extended and he will do fine without the diseased part.

The swelling seems to have gone down a little today. Bobbie ate eagerly today. The weather is surprisingly warm today, so hopefully he will be able to catch some worms when he goes out later.
I still don't really know what to think about amputating any more tissue. Bobbie is only on day three of the Baytril, and the course is supposed to go for a week to ten days, so I'm wondering if we should wait a bit and then see if the antibiotics get rid of the infection, or whether we should amputate. The swelling is not completely gone, and I would be afraid of making him more uncomfortable if we removed anything that wasn't ready to come off yet, but then again we don't want to wait too long! If we do amputate anything, we will probably do it in the evening, a few hours after Bobbie gets his dose of Meloxicam.
On another note, we are mixing probiotics with his food, as he has been on antibiotics for some time. I wish we had just started the Baytril earlier, the Clavamox didn't seem to do any good (it is supposed to work better on a full stomach, but Bob wasn't really eating then).

The swelling seems to have gone down a little today. Bobbie ate eagerly today. The weather is surprisingly warm today, so hopefully he will be able to catch some worms when he goes out later.
I still don't really know what to think about amputating any more tissue. Bobbie is only on day three of the Baytril, and the course is supposed to go for a week to ten days, so I'm wondering if we should wait a bit and then see if the antibiotics get rid of the infection, or whether we should amputate. The swelling is not completely gone, and I would be afraid of making him more uncomfortable if we removed anything that wasn't ready to come off yet, but then again we don't want to wait too long! If we do amputate anything, we will probably do it in the evening, a few hours after Bobbie gets his dose of Meloxicam.
On another note, we are mixing probiotics with his food, as he has been on antibiotics for some time. I wish we had just started the Baytril earlier, the Clavamox didn't seem to do any good (it is supposed to work better on a full stomach, but Bob wasn't really eating then).
It probably won't hurt to wait a little longer if you want to. It might improve since he is on all of that medication. Mine wasn't on anything. Mine had a round large hard what looked like a dingle berry hanging from him when my daughter-in-law noticed it. He is so close to the ground that I didn't see it. It was the size of a quarter and was greenish and hard. It was something that no amount of medication would have been able to save. Once I read how the infection could go up into his system I knew for sure it had to come off. I was glad she saw it. I don't know how long he even had it but it wasn't long enough to hurt him, thank heavens. Good luck with what you decide.

It probably won't hurt to wait a little longer if you want to. It might improve since he is on all of that medication. Mine wasn't on anything. Mine had a round large hard what looked like a dingle berry hanging from him when my daughter-in-law noticed it. He is so close to the ground that I didn't see it. It was the size of a quarter and was greenish and hard. It was something that no amount of medication would have been able to save. Once I read how the infection could go up into his system I knew for sure it had to come off. I was glad she saw it. I don't know how long he even had it but it wasn't long enough to hurt him, thank heavens. Good luck with what you decide.
I've decided to wait a little longer as well, but I was glad to hear you recommend that course of action!
At this point, Bobbie is getting much more lively, and eating more on his own. Aside from the prolapse, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him.
I'm glad that you caught your little Call drake's infection in time! Thank God Bobbie's prolapse never got that bad.

More than 3 days on Baytril is likely to cause problems. Can you post a picture of the tip that's still out?
The picture on page five looks pretty much the way it does now.
Why should more than three days on Baytril be a problem? The instructions on the bottle recommend at least seven days, and up to ten. This kind of Baytril is mixed with water (two cc per quart at first, but only one cc after the fourth day).

I've decided to wait a little longer as well, but I was glad to hear you recommend that course of action!
At this point, Bobbie is getting much more lively, and eating more on his own. Aside from the prolapse, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him.
I'm glad that you caught your little Call drake's infection in time! Thank God Bobbie's prolapse never got that bad.
I just read that you should only use water based ointment on it and that anything oil based will make it worse. It's safe to use KY jelly as it is water based but not something like vaseline. I wonder if what you are using is water based or oil based? Maybe that is why he is not liking it and that is what is causing possible further problems.

I just read that you should only use water based ointment on it and that anything oil based will make it worse. It's safe to use KY jelly as it is water based but not something like vaseline. I wonder if what you are using is water based or oil based? Maybe that is why he is not liking it and that is what is causing possible further problems.
What we are using is Bacitracin Zinc. I read about not using Vaseline-type ointments, but I figured the Bacitracin would be okay, because it is an antibiotic.
Anyway, I decided to forgo using it this evening, as rubbing the tissue could cause further inflammation and possibly spread the infection. I only used Veterycin.

Interesting update!
Bobbie was just given a soak in warm water for about fifteen minutes. When he was brought back down to the "hospital", I checked his prolapse and noticed that the yellowish peeling material had come off, without leaving a trace! The tissue, though, still swollen, looks a healthy color, and it looks as if the scab from the amputation is coming loose.
Does anyone have any suggestions for continued treatment? I will keep an eye on him, as he doesn't seem ready to go outside yet. I am not sure if the infection is really healed, perhaps the yellowish stuff was only a symptom of infection.
I have not given him any Baytril water yet today, due to casportpony's warning above, and also because there wasn't much time to mix any more this morning. Should I continue with that, just in case, lowering the dose (according to the instructions) or just continue with the Veterycin?

Interesting update!
Bobbie was just given a soak in warm water for about fifteen minutes. When he was brought back down to the "hospital", I checked his prolapse and noticed that the yellowish peeling material had come off, without leaving a trace! The tissue, though, still swollen, looks a healthy color, and it looks as if the scab from the amputation is coming loose.
Does anyone have any suggestions for continued treatment? I will keep an eye on him, as he doesn't seem ready to go outside yet. I am not sure if the infection is really healed, perhaps the yellowish stuff was only a symptom of infection.
I have not given him any Baytril water yet today, due to casportpony's warning above, and also because there wasn't much time to mix any more this morning. Should I continue with that, just in case, lowering the dose (according to the instructions) or just continue with the Veterycin?
I would not put any more ointment on it and see how it does. When I looked up the drug you are using for that it said that if given on an open wound it could go into the body and cause kidney problems and even poison the body. That was the downside of the drug. I would be afraid of using it any further on him and just stick to the spray that I used myself. I would keep an eye on it and see if he is able to contract it in a short while. Hopefully he will be able to. Good luck with this situation and I hope that Bobbie makes it fine.

Back
Top Bottom