Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

I was about to direct seed some lettuce and put a clear roof panel over them like a greenhouse, but now I will wait another week or two. I did go out and poke in my garden boxes and they are totally thawed and the worms are active. So once the weather turns again I might seed some radish out, along with more lettuce.

Last week I was informed by the surveyors at work that the frost is out of the ground. They have been busy pounding in stakes for the summer construction projects.

When I was growing up, the radio station news would include a grave diggers report during the winter - letting everyone know how deep the frost was. One of the unique things that was normal for small town, northern Wisconsin.

Yes, I had no reason to go outside so I stayed warm.
nice bit of nostalgia about the gravedigger report. I guess Wausau was too big for such trivia..
Yesterday I had a moment of reflection about the past.
Annie is going through old photos of long gone relatives. she found a few post cards.
So we drove around Wausau and looked up the places where her grandmother lived. we found two of them. the third one is a parking lot for a business..
these post cards were from 1915 .
Next she wants to go to the library and research which place her mother was born
I didn't have corned beef today. last week Annie made basically the same thing with a smoked ham hock..
I had blue gills for supper..
I like blue gills.
years ago a friend and I would suddenly decide to go catch a batch of gills. then we would filet them and call Ralph and Hank and say we got gills. in a few minutes they would show up and we would sit at the kitchen table with a deep fryer in the middle and chow down..

On the heels of losing Marco Polo, I discovered a small wound and lump on the face of one of his sisters, Mins, over the weekend. I rushed her to the vet yesterday, expecting the worst. But Dr. Mike said that although there could be a tumor also, it looks like just an abscessed upper tooth. He kept her overnight and is planning to do the surgery today. That's great because I am not up for any more bad news.

Jim, I don't think I've eaten blue gills since I was a kid. My dad would take the family fishing in our row small boat. I don't know that he cared about catching fish, I think he just wanted to get away from work (his business was right next to our house) and most people. Since neither Mom nor my sister would learn, he taught me how to bait hooks with nightcrawlers. Lucky me! When any of us landed fish, it was usually blue gills, crappies and bullheads.

The recent warm weather is enticing my perennials to grow, including one of my favorite earlier bloomers, Siberian Squill. Although it's not native to the Midwest, Minnesota Wildflowers describes it as, "very hardy and cold tolerant, and is left untouched by critters from voles to deer." So far, chickens, ducks and geese are also leaving the tiny blue flowers alone!

Dr. Mike did the surgery this morning. Along with the abscessed tooth, which he removed, there is a tumor. He said he could just put Mins down while she was still out from the anesthesia. I couldn't do that; I want to be with her when it's time for her to go.

She got pain meds, and Mins is home, for as long as she shows me she feels like living.

Dr. Mike did the surgery this morning. Along with the abscessed tooth, which he removed, there is a tumor. He said he could just put Mins down while she was still out from the anesthesia. I couldn't do that; I want to be with her when it's time for her to go.

She got pain meds, and Mins is home, for as long as she shows me she feels like living.
So very sorry Barb. :( I am glad you decided to spend more time with her, and to give her a chance. Big hugs to both of you.

:hugs

Back
Top Bottom