Dry beak

ali04

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Happy Bird day everyone ever since i got my duck in November his beak has been dry. he has access to plenty of water and every night i put coconut oil on his beak. I read that it was safe for them. Now that its winter with snow and cold weather it seems to look worse. if anyone has an idea on how to help him I would appreciate it here is a picture of his beak today.
beak.jpg

Duck bills are made of keratin which is actually the same protein that lizard scales are comprised of. To put it simply it is part of keratin's natural process for dead layers to shed off so new layers can form. More technically speaking it's Keratinization. Keratinization is when keratinocytes create more keratin and go through what's called "terminal differentiation". The outermost layer is composed of completely cornified keratinocytes that are actually always shedding so new cells can grow. There is nothing wrong with your duck and he needs no treatment. His bill is simply sloughing off the dead cells to make way for new ones.

Duck bills are made of keratin which is actually the same protein that lizard scales are comprised of. To put it simply it is part of keratin's natural process for dead layers to shed off so new layers can form. More technically speaking it's Keratinization. Keratinization is when keratinocytes create more keratin and go through what's called "terminal differentiation". The outermost layer is composed of completely cornified keratinocytes that are actually always shedding so new cells can grow. There is nothing wrong with your duck and he needs no treatment. His bill is simply sloughing off the dead cells to make way for new ones.
@HollowOfWisps have you noticed that the posts mentioning bills peeling are predominantly drakes?

@HollowOfWisps have you noticed that the posts mentioning bills peeling are predominantly drakes?
I honestly haven't paid much attention to how many were drakes, but I have noticed it on both my hens and drake's. That being said it is possible that one sex might see more noticeable shedding since keratin growth is affected by different hormones in different ways.

I'm the weirdo who has been thinking about this all night so this morning I went out and checked my drake's and hens bills. The drake's definitely have it more noticeably and my hens that do have the shedding it's fairly minimal and more right around the edge of their nares. I've been searching for studies all morning and have yet to find any specifically on duck bills. The only thing I found was the usual duck bills are made of keratin and it stops right there. I'm curious if it is similar to facial hair. Most males grow noticable facial hair and most females have barely noticeable peach fuzz. Since ducks don't have keratin in the form of hair, but bills, feathers, etc. I'm wondering if the testosterone in the drake's is triggering a surplus of keratin turnover. Hmmm now I want someone to do a study on it because this is going to bother me probably forever😂

I'm the weirdo who has been thinking about this all night so this morning I went out and checked my drake's and hens bills. The drake's definitely have it more noticeably and my hens that do have the shedding it's fairly minimal and more right around the edge of their nares. I've been searching for studies all morning and have yet to find any specifically on duck bills. The only thing I found was the usual duck bills are made of keratin and it stops right there. I'm curious if it is similar to facial hair. Most males grow noticable facial hair and most females have barely noticeable peach fuzz. Since ducks don't have keratin in the form of hair, but bills, feathers, etc. I'm wondering if the testosterone in the drake's is triggering a surplus of keratin turnover. Hmmm now I want someone to do a study on it because this is going to bother me probably forever😂
That's very interesting that your drakes have more shedding than your hens. My all female flock, that I have had for 7 years, has never had any bill peeling/shedding. They are pretty friendly and I spend a lot of time with them, too, so I'm sure I would notice. It seems like your theory of hormones is a good one!

That interesting I only have had drakes and two hens my whole life and none of them have had their beak peel at least from what I have noticed. but he also came from a different place then my other ducks and his beak is pink at some spots too and always have been slightly dry since November, but I thought It was due to the amount of water he was getting at his last home. It seems to be getting better thank you all for looking into it!

Back
Top Bottom