d'Uccle color genetics

Hello, I’ve just begun to breed blue d’Uccles. I believe when a blue x blue leads to some of the chicks coming out as a splash. I’m having trouble finding a picture, anyone know what a blue splash d’Uccle looks like?

Hello, I’ve just begun to breed blue d’Uccles. I believe when a blue x blue leads to some of the chicks coming out as a splash. I’m having trouble finding a picture, anyone know what a blue splash d’Uccle looks like?
You should get 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash. I have never seen a splash D'Uccle but I would imagine it looks something like this:
splash duccle.jpg

Very cool, thank you. Would a black and splash come out pure looking? Or would the black have leakage from the other colors.
The black should be pure, but possibly will lose some depth of color over successive molts.
I had a beautiful dark blue bird that over time has become almost a splash, so genetics can be iffy at times :)
Not sure what you mean by "pure" splash since they are a mix?

The black should be pure, but possibly will lose some depth of color over successive molts.
I had a beautiful dark blue bird that over time has become almost a splash, so genetics can be iffy at times :)
That’s a bad term to use, but I meant like pure looking. As in a solid color. Without leakage from the other genetic colors at play

That’s a bad term to use, but I meant like pure looking. As in a solid color. Without leakage from the other genetic colors at play
Well, that's what splash is. Usually one predominant color with "splashes" of other color seen on the feathers. The birds usually have only one color that splashes, but in theory I suppose you could have more than one splash color although I have never seen it. Not sure about that....

If you are only using solidly colored blacks, blues, and splashes, you won’t get leakage. However, if the parents were color crosses or poorly bred, they could have chicks with leakage.
Splash is an off-white color with blue spots (never any other color of spots). When using splash in breeding, it acts like a solid color. Like, if you cross it to a red chicken, you won’t get red chickens with blue spots or off-white chickens with red spots.

I’ve never heard of black becoming less black. Though I have heard that serious breeders of splashes won’t breed them to other splashes, because it might make them paler/have less spots in the next generation.

I’ve never heard of black becoming less black. Though I have heard that serious breeders of splashes won’t breed them to other splashes, because it might make them paler/have less spots in the next generation.
I'm assuming mine were not pure and it only happened with one bird. She seemed to fade in color over 2-3 years.:rolleyes:

I just got this little pullet yesterday. The farmer that sold her to us said she came as a free egg in an order of his from last spring. He said he doesn’t know what breed she is.

Based on reading online & her feathered feet, beard & muffs & teeny size, I think she’s a Belgium D’uccle... and a silver birchen color... but I’ve not found a Birchen d’uccle anywhere online.
Thoughts? What do we have here? Thank you!

Attachments

• D39A50FE-0223-4CA2-900D-B5C935AC6874.jpeg
    D39A50FE-0223-4CA2-900D-B5C935AC6874.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 00A1EB71-01BE-4EC0-BEA2-61C57B6DFFB1.jpeg
    00A1EB71-01BE-4EC0-BEA2-61C57B6DFFB1.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 9
  • BA1D6CB1-933E-4E62-83D3-D2D63EF2E8AA.jpeg
    BA1D6CB1-933E-4E62-83D3-D2D63EF2E8AA.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom