d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
Yeah, I hate being overrun with birds I have to kill, unless I can eat them. But Bantam Cochins aren't big enough to eat. So maybe I won't try that. Heh heh.
hmm.png

Quote:
These topics become too large...
wink.png

Yes. And the coops become too full as you breed the minimum number of offspring to accomplish the desired results. Much to my husband's dismay....

I am learning though!
My lavenders were split to mottled. They never had any mottled offspring when bred to lav, or to porcelain, but it showed up with the cross to mille fleur. So I have black d'Uccles and black mottleds all growing up right now.

So far the feather quality is what I'd hoped for; The initial feathers are higher quality in both appearance and growth rate than the pure lavender hatchlings developed. So I'm cautiously optimistic that I will end up with some drop-dead gorgeous lavender d'Uccles eventually.
Mottled lavender d'Uccles would be the icing on the cake, IMO.

I've got a question about my lavender d'Uccle roo. I was initially pretty excited about him, excellent feather quality, good type, big bull neck and shoulders, but I just realized I've been blinded by my enthusiasm, he has wattles..........................small, but they are wattles none the less. In view of his other outstanding qualities do you think it is acceptable to use him to breed to the hen which shows NO sign of wattles.........at all. My hope is, that out of X number of chicks there would be 1 that would have no wattles. Is there a breeder guru out there that can tell me if this is possible?

Quote:
Hi hun, I'm not an expert breeder by any means, but most Lavender roos have a tendancy to lack more in beard (thus showing a bit more wattle) than say a MF roo would. That's something I've been working on in my own lavy boys for a couple years now. Also if you notice, some (not all) porc boys seem to be lacking in this same area. I raise both colors, and I also have golden necks, MF and several 'project' pens with silver, lav mottled, black and other colors without *exacting definitions*...none of them seem to have issues w/beards and/or wattles as do the lavenders. I posted on the other d'uccle thread today, but think I'll continue with adding promised pics, to THIS thread if the rest of you dont mind me jumping abord
fl.gif
Either way, IMHO it's something that us breeders need to be working on together in order to continue to preserve the purity & quality of the lavs. Think I'll go throw on the camo and
hide.gif
now B4 I get
smack.gif

PS. Sorry to intrude or bust in on the thread...

<---- still in camo!

Last edited:
Quote:
These topics become too large...
wink.png

Yes. And the coops become too full as you breed the minimum number of offspring to accomplish the desired results. Much to my husband's dismay....

I am learning though!
My lavenders were split to mottled. They never had any mottled offspring when bred to lav, or to porcelain, but it showed up with the cross to mille fleur. So I have black d'Uccles and black mottleds all growing up right now.

So far the feather quality is what I'd hoped for; The initial feathers are higher quality in both appearance and growth rate than the pure lavender hatchlings developed. So I'm cautiously optimistic that I will end up with some drop-dead gorgeous lavender d'Uccles eventually.
Mottled lavender d'Uccles would be the icing on the cake, IMO.

I asked this on the other D'uccle thread, but will (once again) invade on this post ... Do you happen to have any pics of your blacks by chance? I'd love to see your progress with them and their color
pop.gif
I have 2 pullets growing out right now as well as a BLACK (heehee) *silver mottled duckwing dalamation splash* cockrel
gig.gif
who's pretty interesting. Would love to learn, see and hear from others who are working on or with blacks.

Quote:
My Goldneck cockeral has small wattles but still more than I wanted, an more than my MF roo does. And yet the Goldneck was picked as BB BV at the most recent show over the MF roo who used to win BB BV regularly.

GypsyChic, I have some pics of my little blackbirds on my facebook account, but not on here yet. I'm a little disappointed because some of the ones with mottling appear to have waaaaayyyy more mottling than the d'Uccle standard calls for.
One that has very little mottling, and that I feel may be 90% perfect, has a comb that I don't like
sad.png

But they are all very young yet, and not entirely without down still. So too soon to be 100% sure of anything.

Heres a quick snap of 3 black chicks I hatched, then one of my black pullets below that. Will try to get pics of the other blk girl a bit later on, as well as the multi colored "black" roo
roll.png
Please keep in mind, this is a 'work in progress', so don't critique them to hard as they are all still young. Back into my camo suit!!

Baby birds
39809_002.jpg

Blk pullet
39809_opo12.jpg

Back
Top Bottom