d'Uccle color genetics

Pics
Quote:
LOL, I just PM'd you! BTW, I'm sure by the time it's all said and done I'll be banned from the D'uccle threads due to my flock of 'missfit feathers'...
lau.gif
Not many people like change and I've dumped a ton of color on you guys-n-gals the past few weeks. I'm sure most of you are going
sickbyc.gif
about now...LMBO!

LMBO .....I'm usually a purest when it comes to breeding anything but I'm totally amazed at the marking of your WC.
ep.gif
There are several good breeders on this thread that are experimenting with the different colors also. I find the genetics on these birds fascinating but confusing. That's one of the reasons we need threads like this one, so I don't think you'll be banned.
I just got my Milles this year and still learning. Like most people on here I'm just wanting to improve my birds and I'm impressed with the quality of your birds regardless of their color...so I hope you'll stick around.
pop.gif

Sandy

Awww, thanks Sandy I appreciate that. I have currently 4 project pens and the rest of my birds are all pure, no color crossing. Quality & Consistancy are my 2 main priorities although I do have other goals, these must be met first, regardless of color. I cull pretty heavily and either sell chicks/birds as pets or give them away, which the later is usually the case. Either way it's survival of the finest around here and those who dont make cut at 8wks or at 6mos get rehomed. Right now I have Golden necks, mille, lav, porc and working on replentishing my whites.

Sunflower, I have some porcelin eggs available if you are interested in hatching some babies. You can either post here or just PM me hun.

Quote:
It does look a little bit lemon like.............

Doug, LilCrow...First of all I'm sorry it's been a while since I posted. Been in hospital since last Sunday w/surgery, and didnt have puter access. Now for the "lemon" ordeal...Yes, he does show a lemon/darkening to a more gold. I'll take more pics and post and maybe can get some better shots/lighting for you.

Wegotchickens: let me dig around a bit and see if I can find younger pics of the "wild child" (Thanks lil crow, appropriately named
lol.png
) He does have somewhat of a mott pattern, but ALSO a laced patt to him as well. Please hang in there with me, may take a day or 2 to find what I need for ya
wink.png

Hope everyone is doing well and had a super weekend.

GypsyChic
Lilcrow has been interested in the Lemon color for a while now (especially after she saw mine) and I am sure she would be interested in how you came about getting him to have the lemon.

Wow! WildChild has a lot of white to him. I'm not sure my young 'un will have that much white.
I'm sad. I thought I might have a partner in raising my flock of splits but it fell through. I really don't have enough space to keep ALL the chicks that passed the first 'cut' (I cull heavily for type as well).
Contemplating Plan B....

GypsyChic, I am not one who's offended by breeding for color, as long as type is maintained and genetic defects (missing toenails, etc) are culled. I do feel the mille fleur are special and need to be maintained, since there is no other chicken breed that has such a perfect mille fleur coloration. But beyond type and keeping the heritage alive, I think experimentation is a fine thing. It's why there are so many breeds and colors available these days! The goal is the important thing, IMO.

Quote:
Doug, LilCrow...First of all I'm sorry it's been a while since I posted. Been in hospital since last Sunday w/surgery, and didnt have puter access. Now for the "lemon" ordeal...Yes, he does show a lemon/darkening to a more gold. I'll take more pics and post and maybe can get some better shots/lighting for you.

Wegotchickens: let me dig around a bit and see if I can find younger pics of the "wild child" (Thanks lil crow, appropriately named
lol.png
) He does have somewhat of a mott pattern, but ALSO a laced patt to him as well. Please hang in there with me, may take a day or 2 to find what I need for ya
wink.png

Hope everyone is doing well and had a super weekend.

GypsyChic
Lilcrow has been interested in the Lemon color for a while now (especially after she saw mine) and I am sure she would be interested in how you came about getting him to have the lemon.

Doug, he is out of a hen who was 1/2 GN and 1/2 blk that I bred back to my CH mille roo shown a page or 2 back. There were 6 chicks in that spacific group, 1st cut culled 4, leaving 2 boys. At 6mos final culling and WC is what I've got left from the pair. Hope that helps some. Lemon is not a hard color to work with if that's what your breeding for, but it's difficult to darken, so has been my expeirence anyway.

Wegotchickens, ethic is one thing when 'project breeding', just throwing birds together to see what ya get is a different story, so yes your correct by stating maintaining heritage as well as type and to standard are very important. *Quality & Consistancy*
smile.png
BTW, your GN's are gorgeous, and what is your Plan B???
pop.gif
I'm nosey sorry lol.
hugs.gif

Plan B is to find someone with a chicken addiction, plus space, plus curiosity, AND who already has some of my MF offspring who will take a few of my black mottled project birds.
If someone else crosses them back to MF, and documents the results for me, then I can work on a different cross without running out of space.

The catch would be that I would 'gift' the project birds and in return get to take the 'pick of the litter' among the breeding results. My own 'catch' is that is has to be someone I could transport to, since I don't want to ship.
Plan B1 is a bust.
On to Plan B2...

Quote:
Sukzzz your so far away because I would be interested in working with you, and we could kill 2 birds w/one stone (so to speak). Seems we're working on similar projects/goals and i know from my point it would certianly benifit my black program too. Yep, Plan B2...
roll.png
(sigh)

Quote:
Sukzzz your so far away because I would be interested in working with you, and we could kill 2 birds w/one stone (so to speak). Seems we're working on similar projects/goals and i know from my point it would certianly benifit my black program too. Yep, Plan B2...
roll.png
(sigh)

I know! I thought about that!!

Are you going to the Ohio Nationals?
fl.gif

Quote:
roll.png
(sigh)

I know! I thought about that!!

Are you going to the Ohio Nationals?
fl.gif

I soooo wish I could but due to recent surgery (long story) and am stuck w/23 staples I cant go, do much outside the farm for about 3mos
barnie.gif
Let me think on this a bit...I "may" be able to work something out to at least get some birds/eggs to you though
big_smile.png

Quote:
Bummer. Sorry about the surgery thing. I actually wanted to bring some birds to YOU
big_smile.png

I can't hatch anything until 1/1/11. I promised no more birds until 'next year'. Better that way if this winter is as bad as last winter was. My youngest birdsa rea already unhappy with lows in teh 60's and we get down to 40's this weekend. I'll be putting some back in the brooder with a low-watt lamp... Not enough to be warm, just enough to help them keep themselves warm until they are more fully feathered. I have late millies, a lav, and some goldnecks.

Back
Top Bottom