D'uccle Thread

Anybody????
Are you limited to getting only one color? If not, I would recommend getting all three!
big_smile.png
But, that's just me. I think it just depends on whether or not you are buying to breed, or buying to have a few pet D'uccles.
thumbsup.gif
I love Mille fleur, but its hard (in my opinion) to find one with good color. The same with mottled.
idunno.gif
If I were you, I would get a small amount of eggs with all those variety's.

I'm trying to decide whether to get a Mille Fleur, Porcelain, or Mottled d'Uccle. Any advice? (I'm waiting till Spring, and I want to hatch the egg myself.)
See if you can find some shows in your area, and go see if there ared'Uccle in the shows. Seeing breeds can help you make up your mind about color.
Honestly, if you could only get one color, I'd get self-blue (also called lavender). Then you could focus on the birds physical qualities and base color without worrying about pattern.

Sorry to hear.
I wanted to ask about incubators--favorites, etc. I have seen the name Brinsea pop up on this thread a lot--which models are best and where did you get yours? I have used "the styrofoam one" for the past 2 years, but I never had more than 40-50% hatch rate, especially the last 2 days or dying after pips. I had all the gadgets--turner, fan, humidity monitor, but to no greater success. When we moved this spring, the incubator lost a fight in a dumbwaiter accident (anyone hear a loud crunch?) So I have to start over. :-( I LOVE saving $$$ so if anyone has insights where I could get the most for less OR if you have one for sale, please PM me. Thanks. I'm tempted to try and find someone in Eastern NC that has a cabinet incubator that would hatch eggs for me.......
Brinsea Octagon 20 is VERY dependable and can hatch about 30+ d'Uccle eggs. More, if you fit them in like a jigsaw puzzle, and standing on their pointed end.
Yes, it costs money, but I have the non digital kind and it works just dandy. In fact, I bought a 2nd one to useas a hatcher. They're not cheap, but neither are shipped eggs. Get at least 1 turn cradle if you work, and then you won't have to turn the bator, although I love that the WHOLE BATOR turns so that you don't have to open it.

You may have a larger model as I got mine for $150 off of their website, oh and I also got mine without a turner. It keeps the temp spot-on and adjusting humidity is a breeze, I just fill the lower reservoir and then add a sponge during hatch time, works like a charm. It is soooooo easy to clean compared to anything Styrofoam, it is amazing!

I kinda just repeated what dsfrango said, but it is seriously the best incubator you can get if you don't want to hatch on a super large scale
thumbsup.gif

I also have the Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO and with the automatic turner it was right around $200 (it's not the one that is listed as Advanced)....as well as two Brinsea Mini Advanced incubators. All have been very dependable for me.

Gail

Hello Everyone.
I have some bad news, Hope died during the night.
hit.gif
She had been getting weak for a day or two, so guess eye sight is crucial to a new born baby chick to survive. I'll miss her.
sad.png

RIP. Hope.
hit.gif

I know you're sad, but this was for the best.
A chicken that can't find the feed tray or the water dish, and can't chase bugs, is a pitiful thing. I managed to get a blind chick to live for 2 months, and it was always terrified and very high maintenance. When summer came I knew she'd never survive without extra water during the day, and I worked full time. So I culled her. Cried like a baby, but in the end it was best for the chick. She always seemed lonely and the other chicks her age were twice her size and tired of her trying to cuddle with them.
So your Hope chick is now free from fear and suffering. I wish her spirit well on its journey.

how is the humidity in those? Does it hold well? I have been using a styrofoam one for turning then transferring to another for hatching. I had issues with humidity last round and have a single Serama chick now due to that. I love my Brinsea heaters for my brooders and have been considering that incubator.
If you're in TN, then don't add much, if any, water unless the weather report says the humidity in the air is really low. Read up on the Dry Hatch Method in the BYC Learning Center.

I think a lot of people worry too much about humidity and end up drowning their chicks. I don't add water until 3 days before hatch, if I remember, and have awesome hatch rates.

And the non-digital Brinsea is around $150. The digital one is around $300+. I use the non-digital version and LOVE it. It is the perfect size for this backyard breeder, because it can't fit ALL the eggs my birds lay :p

Speaking of hatching....

I have had a bunch of hens go broody on me, and am now seeing the fruits of their labors. I have 10 black d'Uccle chicks, 6 lavenders, and an assortment of silkies & showgirls. I'm only letting one hen be a mama due to space constraints. The rest of the chicks are in a brooder. SO CUTE!!!

Back
Top Bottom