Duck Videos Thread!

Can the ducks get brave enough to climb an outdoor staircase? Brat, who will normally do anything for food, is intimidated by jumping up the stairs. But limber little Ivy takes on the challenge eagerly. Will she give up partway or will she succeed?

0.jpg

(AimToMisbehave - no, all my ducks are equally noisy.
wink.png
But they're Muscovies. )

Can the ducks get brave enough to climb an outdoor staircase? Brat, who will normally do anything for food, is intimidated by jumping up the stairs. But limber little Ivy takes on the challenge eagerly. Will she give up partway or will she succeed?

0.jpg

(AimToMisbehave - no, all my ducks are equally noisy.
wink.png
But they're Muscovies. )
That was great. Sweet little Ivy made it. Those are some tall steps to hop and flap up but the sweetie did it. Cute.

Great video! My ducks go on and off my back porch occasionally but it is only two steps high. Ducks can go up stairs fairly easily, but down stairs can be a challenge. If they are smart enough to jump down each step sideways they do fine. If they try to go straight down, their tails get flipped up on the step they just left and they spread their wings so they don't flip and kind of crash at the bottom. Muscovies have even longer tails. With two steps I don't worry, but you might go slow with a longer stair case until you know which ones are smart enough to hop down sideways and which ones crash (unless of course your Muscovies aren't clipped in which case they can fly).

Great video! My ducks go on and off my back porch occasionally but it is only two steps high. Ducks can go up stairs fairly easily, but down stairs can be a challenge. If they are smart enough to jump down each step sideways they do fine. If they try to go straight down, their tails get flipped up on the step they just left and they spread their wings so they don't flip and kind of crash at the bottom. Muscovies have even longer tails. With two steps I don't worry, but you might go slow with a longer stair case until you know which ones are smart enough to hop down sideways and which ones crash (unless of course your Muscovies aren't clipped in which case they can fly).
OK. That's the last stair-climbing they're gonna do for a while. We had to fence the area off. It wasn't on film, but if I remember right, Ivy jumped to the ground. She's clipped, but her wings still give her enough lift to make it to the ground clear and not crash too bad.

OK. That's the last stair-climbing they're gonna do for a while. We had to fence the area off. It wasn't on film, but if I remember right, Ivy jumped to the ground. She's clipped, but her wings still give her enough lift to make it to the ground clear and not crash too bad.
Yeah, all my ducks can "fly" good enough that if they jumped off a 10' ledge, they would be OK, but if they were 10' up on stairs they might not try to "fly" and could get hurt. Ivy probably did the right thing. I am guessing clipped she flies like my mallard based domestics.

* "fly" in the context of my ducks means flapping wings like crazy descending downward in a slow forward moving fall where some may land on their feet and some may do a light chest bump. In no way does it imply gaining or even maintaining altitude.
gig.gif

Some of my ducks would never brave Ivy's big downstairs jump/fly. Creamy takes 10 minutes simply to gather the courage to jump down 6 inches, though she won't hesitate to jump up. If any of my scaredy-quacks climb or jump up something but won't go down, I sometimes carry them down.

Some of them do worse than landing on their feet and bumping their chest! They practically do a somersault upon hitting the ground.

Sweet Pea is my little princess with an idiosyncrasy of daintiness. She never, ever soils her pristine feathers and spends the majority of the day preening on a clean throne, the higher the better (up to three feet high). And when she has to jump down, she is sure to perform it with grace. (A crash land would destroy her dignity and muss her immaculate feathers.) Seriously...almost.

What personalities ducks can have!

Some of my ducks would never brave Ivy's big downstairs jump/fly. Creamy takes 10 minutes simply to gather the courage to jump down 6 inches, though she won't hesitate to jump up. If any of my scaredy-quacks climb or jump up something but won't go down, I sometimes carry them down.

Some of them do worse than landing on their feet and bumping their chest! They practically do a somersault upon hitting the ground.

Sweet Pea is my little princess with an idiosyncrasy of daintiness. She never, ever soils her pristine feathers and spends the majority of the day preening on a clean throne, the higher the better (up to three feet high). And when she has to jump down, she is sure to perform it with grace. (A crash land would destroy her dignity and muss her immaculate feathers.) Seriously...almost.

What personalities ducks can have!
Lol Tevye is just like Sweet Pea with one little difference. As soon as he is perfect, glowing, radient... he jumps in a mud puddle.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom