Ducks not laying

AnconaMommy

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
Loveland, Colorado
Hi fellow duck lovers! We have six ducks: four Cayugas, one Rouen, and one that we rescued and have no idea. They are all over six months old and not one is laying yet. They are on Nutrena layer feed, have grit, oyster shell, scratch grains, and fresh fruit and veggies daily. I also give them their favorite mealworms (50% protein), dried crickets, and various other treats, once or twice a week. They are happy and healthy, but basically little freeloaders at the moment! Lol Are we stuck until Spring or what's their deal? No artificial light...as it is not worth the fire risk to me, I know ducks are winter hardy...I used to have Anconas, so I just don't understand the failure to launch into the joys of giving us long awaited eggs!!! Any advice, knowledge, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170728_122242.jpg
    20170728_122242.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 6
Mine were giving me a dozen per day until I changed their feed (not my choice). It's been more than a month and no eggs, making matters worse, my adult hens all went through a molt and quit laying as well. Pullets are too young to lay. I may not get another egg until after the winter solstice. ARG:he

Ducks don't need layer feed...Non layers sure don't need it at all..They don't need the oyster shell either till laying...Ducks should be on a maintenance feed for Ducks...Balance in nutrition is needed...Might not lay anything till spring....

My Welsh harlequins are 6.5 months old. The first started laying in September, the second in early October and the third, just two days ago. The fourth hasn't started yet. We have consistently gotten an egg every day from each duck that is laying. We are in the north Central Plains and do not do any supplemental lighting or heating.

I have no idea whether they will keep up this pace. My husband needs to eat faster or the eggs will take over the fridge.

My point was that at over six months, only half of ours had started laying and one just started yesterday. So the OP's ducks may just be slower like half of mine.
Yep....They are all different....

Oh my...Guess I'll change their food back and stop with the oyster she'll as well! I would never want to do anything to hurt my sweet babies!!! Looks like they may just be pokey slow about starting to lay. I'm glad I asked because thank you all for letting me know about the feed and oyster shell....exactly why I love this site; so many helpful answers!

Back
Top Bottom