Ducks of Our Lives... (Soap Opera)

caf.gif
can't wait for you to get those baby ducks. You know we want to see all kinds of pics and stories about them. Love the names you picked out for them. I hope they all arrive safely and healthy.

Warning! Ducklings are preparing to come to this thread!!! I just ordered this Spring's addition to the flock. They will be:
Allie - Pekin
Casie - Khaki Campbell
Latte - Buff Orpington

I ordered them from Metzer for shipment on March 7 so they should start incubating next Monday
jumpy.gif

Hopefully they will arrive alive and healthy on March 9th or 10th.

I checked with AccuWeather and the long range forecast looks reasonable (hey its the best I can do) so now all I can do is hope for no sudden storms to come up.

fl.gif
wee.gif
fl.gif
celebrate.gif
fl.gif
ya.gif
fl.gif
woot.gif
fl.gif

caf.gif
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I wrote this story before but somehow it got lost and I guess it is floating around the internet somewhere so here goes I will write it again.

This is story about our first duck. My husband come home from work and he said hold out your hand and close your eyes. I was almost afraid to do that because no telling what he was going to put in my hand. So I did and I openned my eyes and there was a little baby duck. He was about 3 or 4 days old I guess. He said a coworker had found him in a parking lot and no mother or babies were anywhere to be found. He put it in a box and asked my husband if he wanted him because he was going to be busy all weekend and he couldn't take care of him. My husband couldn't turn down a baby duck so he brought him home.

We had a silkie hen in a rubbermaid in the house and she had just hatched 5 chicks several days before. I put this baby duck in the tub with the mom and babies and he took off and nestled under the mother hen. She was happy to have another baby and they all got along just fine. I named the duck Friday I didn't know anything about ducks at the time I just knew he needed a mother. He grew and grew and when the momma hen took them outside she paraded them around the yard. The other chickens didn't know what to make of this new addition but momma duck was busy protecting them and showing them how to scratch and peck.

Friday and Boo Boo one of his silkie brothers soon formed a bond. They were best friends and always togeather. When they went in the coop at night Boo Boo perched and Friday slept in a nesting box right beside him. I got Friday a swimming pool because I knew that ducks loved water. Well Friday didn't want no part of the swimming pool. I even put Boo Boo in the pool and Friday still wouldn't get in. Friday got his green feathers on his head and he turned into a beautiful mallard duck. He soon began practicing on his flying. Boo Boo just couldn't make his wings work the way Friday did. Friday began flying out of the yard but would cruse back in and land beside Boo Boo. One day Friday didn't come home. i looked and called his name and I finally found him a couple of blocks away. It looked like a dog had attacked him and he had died. I showed him to Boo Boo and we buried him in the backyard. It was about a week later I went outside to check on the chickens. A hawk was attacking Boo Boo and I screamed and run over to them and the hawk flew away. It was to late the hawk had killed Boo Boo. We buried him beside his best friend in the yard. I know that the two of them are togeather in a place where they are free to roam with no predators.

I'm sorry about the quality of this pic. This is the momma hen with Friday and two of the baby silkies and I'm sure one of them is Boo Boo

Back
Top Bottom