Ducks pipped over 30 hours ago, but no progress!

What kind of ducks and how's your temp?
I'm not sure what kind of ducks they are. We got them donated from a farm, and they have a mix of runners and pekins. I was assured that they would all be okay at the same temp and humidity, but now I'm not too sure. The temp is at 98.5 F. I don't want to cook the duck that's drying off, but I want to keep it warm for the egg.
Lets OPERATE
Should I just start by opening up the air cell and letting you know what it looks like? I will read the post about assisting hatching right now!

I'm not sure what kind of ducks they are. We got them donated from a farm, and they have a mix of runners and pekins. I was assured that they would all be okay at the same temp and humidity, but now I'm not too sure. The temp is at 98.5 F. I don't want to cook the duck that's drying off, but I want to keep it warm for the egg.
Should I just start by opening up the air cell and letting you know what it looks like? I will read the post about assisting hatching right now!
does it have a fan??

Yes, I believe it does! And to answer your question in the PM, yes, there is only one egg left unhatched. 

Only 1 left?? You've done wonderfully!!! I hope the last one makes it fine, but just wanted to say if it doesn't don't blame yourself... we can't always get 100% perfect and you have done a great job!!!

So, there is still no progress on the last egg! It has been internally pipped for well over 48 hours now. I've read the guide to assisting a hatch... Should I go in?? I'm so nervous!
hmm.png

So, there is still no progress on the last egg! It has been internally pipped for well over 48 hours now. I've read the guide to assisting a hatch... Should I go in?? I'm so nervous!
hmm.png
I'm a meddler, so I usually will open up the hole to see why they're stuck. With mine, it's usually because they have their foot over their head.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm095
Incidence of the common malpositions
Malposition #

Description of the malposition

%

Head between thighs

Head in the small end of egg

Head under left wing

Head not directed toward air cell

Feet over head

Beak above right wing

I forgot you give an update before I left last night! I was tired. What I found was quite interesting, and maybe one of you can tell me if you've seen this! But before I begin, let me just tell you that the duck is STILL in the egg, but also still alive (and also quite vocal about the fact that he no longer wants to be in there)!

So, let me begin the tale.... I opened up the air cell with a little view hole, which soon turned into a rather large view hole, because I couldn't figure out what I was looking at. Once it was opened, I could see that what I thought was his beak when I was candling, was actually his knee (?) sticking up into the air cell, and it had broken through the inner membrane! I don't know how it had happened, but there was dried blood around that area, but not actively bleeding. The problem then became that without the hard shell as a barrier, he kept trying to push his leg out more, causing it to bleed. I quickly devised a plan to take sterile gauze, pack it into the hole, and tape it in place. That seemed to solve that problem! Now the problem became finding his beak, which actually wasn't very hard, because I had already suspected a a failed pip at the other end of the egg, but thought I must be wrong since I saw his "beak" in the air cell. So I then made a small view hole there, and there he was! I dampened the membrane, and I saw that there were still a lot of blood vessels, so I put him back. A few hours later, I checked and there were still some blood vessels, so this is when I went home for the night.

When I came in this morning, I was happy to find him very chirpy and angry. I checked for blood vessels in the membrane in the air cell, and I didn't see any, so I cleared a little more around where his head was. As I was doing that, I noticed there were still some spots of larger vessels... so here I am... still waiting.

Here is a picture of what it looks like right now. What do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom