Ducks pipped over 30 hours ago, but no progress!

I just got in to find another duck hatched! So now 2 of the 3 slow pokes have hatched! Unfortunately, the last egg has not made any progress! There is still no external pip. I picked the egg up and could still feel it moving around inside, so it's still alive, but has not made any progress in probably close to 48 hours! How do I save this little guy??

I just got in to find another duck hatched! So now 2 of the 3 slow pokes have hatched! Unfortunately, the last egg has not made any progress! There is still no external pip. I picked the egg up and could still feel it moving around inside, so it's still alive, but has not made any progress in probably close to 48 hours! How do I save this little guy??

Did you candle looking for an internal pip? Ducks are really finicky and not as consistent as chicks hatching. And what day are we on now?

Yes, there is an internal pip. We're on day 28 now, so today was the day I was expecting them to hatch! We started with 6 eggs, and 3 of them decided to pip on day 25 and hatched on 26, and 2 of them hatched last night on day 27. Are they just spreading this out to torture me??

Yes, there is an internal pip. We're on day 28 now, so today was the day I was expecting them to hatch! We started with 6 eggs, and 3 of them decided to pip on day 25 and hatched on 26, and 2 of them hatched last night on day 27. Are they just spreading this out to torture me??

Yes it sounds like they want to torture you! lol

I'm always hesitant to make an external pip for one, if it hasn't done it on its own, but if you know it has been internally pipped for over 24 hours, then I would consider it. Just to give it some real air to breathe. A hole no bigger than the tip of a pen, just make sure you get through the membrane. And try to get close to the bill, if you can tell where it is. Just be careful. My duck egg shells are tough!

It is nice to see that one hatched overnight take the one you put back last night back in the brooder and leave the newly hatched one in the bator

Yes it sounds like they want to torture you! lol

I'm always hesitant to make an external pip for one, if it hasn't done it on its own, but if you know it has been internally pipped for over 24 hours, then I would consider it. Just to give it some real air to breathe. A hole no bigger than the tip of a pen, just make sure you get through the membrane. And try to get close to the bill, if you can tell where it is. Just be careful. My duck egg shells are tough!
I made the safe hole yesterday, because it had already been 24 hours since the internal pip. That is why I'm a little worried. It's probably been closer to 48 hours since the internal pip. The only thing that reassures me is that I still see the egg moving every once in a while, and it chirps it's head off when I tap on the egg. Seems like he's still pretty strong in there.

I made the safe hole yesterday, because it had already been 24 hours since the internal pip. That is why I'm a little worried. It's probably been closer to 48 hours since the internal pip. The only thing that reassures me is that I still see the egg moving every once in a while, and it chirps it's head off when I tap on the egg. Seems like he's still pretty strong in there.

Sorry, I got confused. Your next option would be to start removing more of the air cell to see what's going on in there. Again, I always hesitate to do this, so you have to go with your gut. But seeing as the others have hatched, you are getting close. Normally an entire hatch will only cover 24-60 hours, from first hatcher getting out of the shell to the last one getting out.

So has it tried to peck at the shell at all?

What kind of ducks and how's your temp?

Lets OPERATE

Back
Top Bottom