Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter what "you" would pay for hatching eggs - it matters what your local market will pay when you're selling on craigslist. The fact that you're getting snarky emails from said local market about your prices is a sign that your prices may be higher than that market can bear. People typically don't send that sort of feedback unless you're way off - and looking at the Philly craigslist, .50-1.00 seems to be the going rate.

The fact that your birds are rare, or special only matters if people in the local market not only know that, but care.

Straight run chicks are worth a lot more than hatching eggs - they're the best case from hatching eggs, and already have almost a month of work invested.

I'm pretty sure this guy was expecting to eat the eggs, not hatch them, and that is pretty steep for eating, even if the shells are pretty. He probably has no idea what a Maran is and just saw eggs selling for 12x what he pays in the store.

I am not expecting to sell a lot of hatching eggs, not that many people want to hatch their own, there is, as you noted a lot of risk. I'm posting for the benefit of someone who is wanting BSM's and thinking about buying eggs from ebay (for ex), or chicks mailorder. They can save expense and hassle by buying locally, they just don't know where to buy them. It's more about advertising to make contact with interested people than moving large quantities of eggs.

I found his emails amusing because at first I took him seriously and responded with details about my breeders, all of which whooshed right over his head and got a very short response back - "I was making a joke".

Anyway, I kept the emails as a reminder not to assume that someone who responds to a CL post is well informed about chickens. After conversing with people here, I tend to assume a much higher level of knowledge than is warranted with CL.

The fact that you're getting snarky emails from said local market about your prices is a sign that your prices may be higher than that market can bear. People typically don't send that sort of feedback unless you're way off - and looking at the Philly craigslist, .50-1.00 seems to be the going rate.
Not necessarily true. There are folks who make a profession of complaining. They think that if they whine loud and long enough, they'll get the seller to drop the price. If I think that anything I'm selling is worth what I'm asking, it really doesn't matter what other people think. And, if I saw something on craig's list, or anywhere else that I thought was overpriced, I'd not even waste a second of my time e-mailing the seller to complain about their price. I'd look elsewhere. There comes a point in time, where it's just not worth it to sell to the public. A truer indication that a product might be overpriced is total lack of response to the advertising.

Just the usual: ran out of eggs over the holiday and figured the store was closed, so I sent our 17yo and 20-something house guests to the farm lady up the road. They came back with a dozen white, and a dozen brown eggs. The 17yo was completely shocked about the white eggs, and gave me the usual "store eggs are bleached" comment. So we spent a few minutes looking at differently colored eggs.

That is funny.I needed to bake and hadn't checked my nests so bought some white at the store.All mine are Brown blue or green.It felt so funny using pure white eggs

Not necessarily true.  There are folks who make a profession of complaining.  They think that if they whine loud and long enough, they'll get the seller to drop the price.  If I think that anything I'm selling is worth what I'm asking, it really doesn't matter what other people think.  And, if I saw something on craig's list, or anywhere else that I thought was overpriced, I'd not even waste a second of my time e-mailing the seller to complain about their price.  I'd look elsewhere.  There comes a point in time, where it's just not worth it to sell to the public.  A truer indication that a product might be overpriced is total lack of response to the advertising.

I agree some ppl arent happy unless they can complain and some do do it to get free or price knocked down.I've had more than one person who offered say $4 for a rare chick everyone sells for $7 or more.I'm not that desperate.I do watch the going rate however and sometimes go lower but nothing ridiculous.

Last edited:
I agree some ppl arent happy unless they can complain and some do do it to get free or price knocked down.I've had more than one person who offered say $4 for a rare chick everyone sells for $7 or more.I'm not that desperate.I do watch the going rate however and sometimes go lower but nothing ridiculous.

Also to get back to store bought I wonder how old those store eggs are when people buy them.I bet most aren't a few days old but much more.Most the yolks dont stand up high a sign of fresh.

I'd pay a good bit more than $24/dozen for FBCM hatching eggs from -quality- stock and that
are likely to produce hens that lay the darker eggs. I love the breed and am hoping to add a
few more fbcm hens to my flock this year. . . .I'd like darker eggs if I can get quality stock,
so while that price would be out of line for hatchery eggs, I'd gladly pay it for quality hatching
eggs that are fbcm.

I'm pretty sure this guy was expecting to eat the eggs, not hatch them, and that is pretty steep for eating, even if the shells are pretty. He probably has no idea what a Maran is and just saw eggs selling for 12x what he pays in the store.

I am not expecting to sell a lot of hatching eggs, not that many people want to hatch their own, there is, as you noted a lot of risk. I'm posting for the benefit of someone who is wanting BSM's and thinking about buying eggs from ebay (for ex), or chicks mailorder. They can save expense and hassle by buying locally, they just don't know where to buy them. It's more about advertising to make contact with interested people than moving large quantities of eggs.

I found his emails amusing because at first I took him seriously and responded with details about my breeders, all of which whooshed right over his head and got a very short response back - "I was making a joke".

Anyway, I kept the emails as a reminder not to assume that someone who responds to a CL post is well informed about chickens. After conversing with people here, I tend to assume a much higher level of knowledge than is warranted with CL.

Very true at times.Guess if your looking for eating eggs you want them cheap.People I know can't believe hatching eggs are so much higher than eating eggs.Why I don't sell eating eggs
1f600.png

Last edited:
Very true at times.Guess if your looking for eating eggs you want them cheap.People I know can't believe hatching eggs are so much higher than eating eggs.Why I don't sell eating eggs
1f600.png
I sell my eggs for $3.00/dozen here, and I cant even count how many people balk when they ask for hatching eggs of a particular color and I charge more. Look folks, we JUST got don't molting here, and I am refilling my fridge. You want three dozen blue eggs to HATCH? get in line or be prepared to pony up some serious dough, because my girls aren't there yet and my husband eat half a dozen eggs a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom